Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay i know this may be a noob question but ive had some serious bad information.

im about to order speakers for my 2004 outback aaaaand i cannot figure out what size goes in the rear.

Best Buy says 4 inches
my local car audio plays says 4.5 inches
and everywhere online says 6.5

anybody wanna clear this up

for clarity it has what i like to call the "nothing special" 4 speakers without tweeters

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,318 Posts
If you haven't figured it out yet, all the door speakers are the same size. Polk Audio 6.5 fit right in. You may have to trim the rear door speaker's rear cover a little for the magnet.

Or, you could pull the door panel and measure it.

·
Premium Member
14,318 Posts
The car has the harness plug for tweeter in the upper portion of the door even if your model didn't come with tweeters. If you are looking at adding tweeters, salvage yard hunting for the tweeter mount from another Subie or you mount it in the panel high enough to be effective.

As for wiring it in to make sure the head unit or amplifier doesn't blow them, if they don't come with an inline crossover you'll have to install one to kill the lows.

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,112 Posts
Don't kill the lows. Love them. They will help you find any loose screws, bolts, or panels. While you're at it, install a 1,000 watt Bazooka sub-woofer that will drive all of the old curmudgeons like me crazy whenever you drive down the main road that is no where near their house but will vibrate your wife's nick knacks off the shelves and cause internal bleeding!

Whew, I feel much better after getting that out. :)

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon EJ259 - 4EAT
121 Posts
The car has the harness plug for tweeter in the upper portion of the door even if your model didn't come with tweeters. If you are looking at adding tweeters, salvage yard hunting for the tweeter mount from another Subie or you mount it in the panel high enough to be effective.

As for wiring it in to make sure the head unit or amplifier doesn't blow them, if they don't come with an inline crossover you'll have to install one to kill the lows.
I suppose there's not enough room to surface-mount a tweeter on the stock non-tweeter sail panel? I've been trying to find photos of the specific setup i'm envisioning, but it doesn't seem like too many others have done it in the past.

·
Premium Member
14,318 Posts
The panel mounts close to the metal portion of the door. If you put the tweeter in the door panel, it will protrude and you will have to aim it upward to get a good sound mix. That's why tweeters are high mounted.

David, my car does not vibrate anyone's nick knack unless they are inside the car. It's like sitting in a concert hall and regardless of the style of music, sounds excellent. I don't like the heavy bass. It's intended to be subtle not so heavy the body panels rattle and you can't hear the other tones.

I also think that whoever came up with mounting a loudspeaker under the hood and tying it in to the stereo should be flogged. Not only is it annoying, it sounds shitey.

·
Premium Member
14,318 Posts
The Mc system equated to 11 speakers. Two teeters in the front doors, 4 component speakers in the doors and a subwoofer in the rear. A component speaker is considered as 2 speakers due to its design and function. No tweeter in the rear doors.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts