Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2000 Outback 2.5
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know Subaru is a small manufacturer, but why not offer a Outback with the H6 and a six speed manual trans? I don't think getting it through the EPA emissions testing would be a problem. I would buy one in a minute, I miss my Outback Turbo. What do you folks think?:29:

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,036 Posts
I thought I remembered reading somewhere that Subaru's explanation was that it wouldn't fit.

Plus I don't know if Subaru has a strong enough manual transmission to handle an H6. Maybe I'm wrong but I do know of at least 2 LGTs in my area that have destroyed their trans.

I don't know why it seems like Subaru can build a stout automatic that can take heavy abuse but can't build a manual worth a ****.

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,437 Posts
Great idea, but we can only assume that Subaru doesn't think the sales volume would be enough to amortize the costs of development.

Just to provide an illustration:

Lets say it costs them $150,000 to update the ordering system, catalog, promotional materials, website configurator, assembly line, parts suppliers, safety certs, EPA tests, and pay the engineers to actually do it, then they need to make it back. If this sells 200 cars, then it's a $750 option before they even profit. If they goof and build 500, that's 300 cars they need to discount, probably by $1k or so to clear them at the end of the year. Whoops, that means the costs just went from $150k to $450k in the blink of an eye. It should have been a $2,500+ option. They'll think of this and hedge that option price to say... $2,000.

I suspect that the real cost is significantly higher. But even at $2,000 extra would you still go for it? Bundled with other goodies to make a special edition for an extra $5k? At that point I think the car is well north of $40k and still isn't likely to appeal to the wider performance crowd.

Remember, the LGT Spec B special edition only sold 500 units the first year, had an even higher price and it was a sedan, so the maxima/a4/Acura TL crowd would notice.

·
Registered
60 Posts
rasterman,

Agreed, I can’t recall the exact number but I read in one of the auto magazines that of all the cars sold in the U.S. the percentage of automatics sold is above 95%. The same article reported that in Europe manuals far outsell automatics.
Automakers (and also large truck makers) report that emission rules are easier to achieve using automatic transmissions.

·
Premium Member
2000 Outback 2.5
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know the third pedal equipped cars are on the way out. I just think a H6 with a six speed and some handling upgrades would be a hoot. I still am scratching my head as to why you cant get leather with a stick in any Subi

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,437 Posts
I know the third pedal equipped cars are on the way out. I just think a H6 with a six speed and some handling upgrades would be a hoot. I still am scratching my head as to why you cant get leather with a stick in any Subi
Note that I never said it was a bad thing to wish for :)

At this point I think we should feel lucky that they still make anything with 3 pedals. Engines can be swapped. Seats can be re-upholstered.

My current subaru is an AT but I tend to switch back and forth with each purchase. I sure hope there are 5 or 6 speed MTs next time around...

·
Premium Member
2000 Outback 2.5
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree Rasterman If you can't find what you want I guess you got to 'roll your own" sometimes, lol. I understand the nightmare of trying to be everything to every customer having worked delivering parts to one of the big three for years. Your XT Limited sounds pretty close to what I am thinking in a gen 4.

·
Registered
2014 6spd
177 Posts
Because people in this country our weenies. Who wants to operate a clutch that might interfere with texting or drinking a mocha latte? I am partly to blame, I got a cvt with my outback. I signed a deal for the 6-speed but my wife thew an epic fit, so I had to switch to the cvt.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Bump gas up to $8 gallon like Europeans and three pedal driving will return in a hurry.
I too like sticks but wifey trumped that idea.
If I had the power, I would make all American primary driving schools make students master manual transmissions. IMO, sticks make you a better driver.
Back in the day, some big rig truckers had three gear shift levers.Here is a video..

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,437 Posts
Bump gas up to $8 gallon like Europeans and three pedal driving will return in a hurry.
Not anymore. Now that it's easy to get an automatic that turns in better mileage than a manual, you won't see a price fluctuation cause that effect.

The euros are still stuck on sticks out of superstition. The hi-miler automatics are still new enough that they aren't convinced. One or two more cycles of these automatics through the used car market and they'll get the memo.

But Americans, starting from a position of 95% automatic? If our gas went up that much somebody might even use it as justification for eliminating the last MTs.

Yes, I know an MT can be driven to achieve amazing MPG, done it myself. But most people can't or won't, even at $8.

·
Registered
'98 OBW Ltd 5 spd (&2008 Tribeca)
3 Posts
My '98 OB Ltd is a 5-spd and has leather. At the rate I'm going this will be a 20 year car. We tow it behind a motor home so it has about 140,000 on it (123,000 registered).

·
Registered
98, Legacy Outback, 2.5L
2 Posts
I think the H6 is on the way out. My guess is 2014 or 2015 will not offer H6 Outback anymore and they will go back to a 4 cyl turbo instead, either the 2.0 turbo coming on the 2014 Forester or a new 2.5 turbo. I would hope that with a turbo they will offer manual trans.

·
Registered
Subaru 2010 Outback 2.5 manual
67 Posts
I would jump on a H6 and 6-speed manual combo for either the Outback or the Legacy if it was made available but I realize the sun is setting on manual transmissions.

What I do find inexplicable is Subaru's decision for 2013 to drop the manual option for the Legacy premium trim (and above) but Outbacks can still be ordered in the premium trim with a manual. Given that both vehicles are built at the same factory makes this decission puzzling (and depressing).

·
Registered
2011 Tribeca Limited w/50K
89 Posts
My 04 MT w/178K still rides/drives fantastic. It will be a sad day when it dies. I plan on replacing the engine and keep it going but will I be able to since it's a MT? I sure hope so. The good news is that my mechanic says it looks great and should get me to 300K no problem. :29:

That said, I would love a H6 with MT. This is the last 4cyl I'll ever buy. The only thing that would change my mind on that fact is if they ever bring the diesel to the States then I'll be first in line! That's what I really want.

·
Registered
80 Posts
There are probably emissions issues to address.

When my WRX (rhymes with "wrecks") did so, I was faced with a choice, since I needed a slightly larger vehicle (used only).

Outback with 2.5 turbo - nice to drive sportively, but I didn't want to pay for slippery leather or sunroof in a winter climate or burna a clutch towing.

Outback with H6 auto - just what the towing doctor ordered. Power to spare without having to double cluth in order to keep the turbo cooking.

I miss my WRX, both don't regert moving on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know Subaru is a small manufacturer, but why not offer a Outback with the H6 and a six speed manual trans? I don't think getting it through the EPA emissions testing would be a problem. I would buy one in a minute, I miss my Outback Turbo. What do you folks think?:29:
It was more important to me to have the manual transmission than the H6, although if I'd had the opportunity to get the mated pair, I would have jumped on it. I live in Greater Cincinnati and bought my 2010 Outback in the Indianapolis area. That hike was simply to get the six speed manual trans. A number of manufacturers offer only a manual trans with the basic engine, and if the engine upgrade is selected, it comes only with the automatic. Not the best decision by the manufacturer, IMO. Subaru, take note.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Business
Manual-transmission vehicle sales rise, but trend may be brief

August 01, 2012|By Jerry Hirsch, Los Angeles Times

Cars with manual transmissions are making a modest comeback, but with tens of millions of drivers lacking the ability to operate a stick shift, analysts don't expect a big jump.
Auto information company Edmunds.com says that vehicles equipped with manual transmissions accounted for 7% of auto sales so far this year. That compares with 3.9% in all of 2011.

Ads by Google

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback XT - 2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R
4 Posts
I would prefer a Outback with a stick rather than the auto transmission as driving in the mountains when it snows I have a better feel to the road conditions. It also allows me to start in 2nd for better traction when I need to.

I am holding on to my Outback XT as long as I can and will not trade it till it is dead or Subaru brings back a stick in an Outback with some power.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts