Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT (Abyss Blue)
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 2015 3.6 LTD and love it. However, my previous OB had setting in the radio that would reduce/increase the volume of the radio based on the speed of the car. Does the '15 not have this option? I've "looked" in all the usual places to find this option/setting. Anyone have any answers/advise?

·
Premium Member
1st Subaru-2015 Crystal White Outback Limited w/PKG 23
164 Posts
If you got the nice radio as in the premium then yes. If you got the Harmon Kardon as in the 'nicest' radio in the Limited then no. Nicer radio, less features. No equalizer and no speed sensitive volume control. There is less sound control in the setup.
I purchased a 2015 3.6 LTD and love it. However, my previous OB had setting in the radio that would reduce/increase the volume of the radio based on the speed of the car. Does the '15 not have this option? I've "looked" in all the usual places to find this option/setting. Anyone have any answers/advise?

·
Registered
2015 3.6 Limited, 2006 Forester, 2004 OBW 2.5 (sold) . .
157 Posts
If you got the nice radio as in the premium then yes. If you got the Harmon Kardon as in the 'nicest' radio in the Limited then no. Nicer radio, less features. No equalizer and no speed sensitive volume control. There is less sound control in the setup.
And you have to wonder why??

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R Limited with package #23
708 Posts
Our 2014 Impreza Premium radio has this feature. It doesn't really change the volume very much though, even at the highest setting making it almost pointless.
Interesting in our 2008 Honda CRV the change is a lot more noticeable.

·
Registered
2016 OB 2.5 Limited Crystal White w/Eyesight; 2016 OB 2.5i Limited Ice Silver w/Eyesight
153 Posts
Assuming you have the Limited with Navigation, and contrary to what's been said, the "nicest" HK DOES have this feature and it is called Automatic Sound Levelizer(ASL). It's adjustment is described in the Navigation Screen Manual on Page 91.

·
Registered
2015 OB Limited 2.5i PZEV MR, Keyless Access & Push-Button Start, Nav, Eyesight - Tungsten Metallic
1,313 Posts
Assuming you have the Limited with Navigation, and contrary to what's been said, the "nicest" HK DOES have this feature and it is called Automatic Sound Levelizer(ASL). It's adjustment is described in the Navigation Screen Manual on Page 91.

I think you're mistaken - I'll have to go check my own system - but there's an asterisk and footnote #2 that says it depends on the type amplifier you have and the HK is the type that doesn't.

That being said I believe that the HK does have a speed volume control but it's not user adjustable.

Reactions: tullymn

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited Edition, Navigation, Eyesight, Keyless, Remote Engine Start, Pop Pack#4
53 Posts
I have Limited Edition with HK Navigation. Interesting to note that the Manual on Page 91 says it but when actually setup the said system, its not listed in the Audio Settings Menu!

Am I missing something?? First I had the Engine running when setting it up and I thought it does not list when the Engine is up but shutting off engine and working with the Accessory only on situation did help either.

·
Registered
2016 OB 2.5 Limited Crystal White w/Eyesight; 2016 OB 2.5i Limited Ice Silver w/Eyesight
153 Posts
I think you're mistaken - I'll have to go check my own system - but there's an asterisk and footnote #2 that says it depends on the type amplifier you have and the HK is the type that doesn't.

That being said I believe that the HK does have a speed volume control but it's not user adjustable.

I stand corrected. I also have read, and agree the HK does have a non user adjustable speed volume control.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited Edition, Navigation, Eyesight, Keyless, Remote Engine Start, Pop Pack#4
53 Posts

Ahhh missed this one when posting my response....

So, what kind of Amplifier is connected with HK Type? Is the Navigation Manual same for Premium and Limited types?

·
Registered
2015 OB Limited 2.5i PZEV MR, Keyless Access & Push-Button Start, Nav, Eyesight - Tungsten Metallic
1,313 Posts
Ahhh missed this one when posting my response....

So, what kind of Amplifier is connected with HK Type? Is the Navigation Manual same for Premium and Limited types?

Here are some reposts I made from other threads about this:

There are multiple incarnations of audio system in the 2015 OB. There's the 6.2" in the Base and the 7" in the Premium. There's also the 7" in the Premium with Navigation. All of these have built-in amplifiers and will have menus for Speed Volume Control and Equalizer settings. Then there's the Limited with the Harman Kardon system - either with or without Navigation. These have a separate amplifier and no options for Speed Volume Control or Equalizer settings. If you get the Premium with Navigation or the Limited you get a separate manual as big as the whole regular Owner's Manual.

I believe Speed Sensitive Audio Volume is an automatic built-in feature of the HK system - uses the microphone to adjust the volume of certain frequencies. At least that's the way it was explained to me by Subaru for the HK system in my 2011 OB.

How it was explained in an email from Subaru:

It is built-in to Harman amplifier. It is a Speed Volume Control (SVC) feature. There are no modifications for this function.
It does not increase absolute volume, but instead boosts some sound frequencies to adjust for interior noise at speed. SVC specifically adjusts sound levels for specific frequencies across speed ranges - thereby adjusting 'sound' varied by speed. It is not as aggressive as typical Auto Volume Control (AVC) that can be turned on/off within the radio head unit, and is typically dependent on microphone-measured interior sound levels as a means of adjusting volume levels within the cabin.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT (Abyss Blue)
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
lloyd123-thanks for your repost of several threads on this subject. Subaru does seem to have many variations of radios/NAV systems for the OB. After reading all the comments and then re-reading the owners manual, I've determined that I've got the non-adjustable type SVC. Just happy to finally have a definitive answer. Thanks.

·
Registered
53 Posts
lloyd123-thanks for your repost of several threads on this subject. Subaru does seem to have many variations of radios/NAV systems for the OB. After reading all the comments and then re-reading the owners manual, I've determined that I've got the non-adjustable type SVC. Just happy to finally have a definitive answer. Thanks.
Same here. Thanks lloyd123.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.