Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 97 Impreza Outback Sport Wagon for my daughter.
148k Auto, Run and shifts fine.
Speedo is way the heck off.
Said I was doing 110 MPH on the highway and I know I was doing 55 or Sixty.
Either that or there were an awful lot of people doing 120 mph or more.
It has the factory alloy wheels and correct tires.

Speedo climbs and drops smoothly, Tach works fine, auto trans shifts fine.

I'm stumped!!!!

HELP!!!!! :(

·
Premium Member
2013 Outback 3.6R Ltd- Nav, Eyesight, HK, Graphite Gray Metallic
815 Posts
I had that happen on a rental car once. Turns out the speedo was reading in kph and not mph. Sounds yours is doing the same.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Speedo shows both Mph and Kph.
Do you mean it's showing Mph at the Kph speed?
I'm confused how could that happen it's not digital?

·
Premium Member
2013 Outback 3.6R Ltd- Nav, Eyesight, HK, Graphite Gray Metallic
815 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think that's it since it shows both Mph and Kph and started it's life on the US east coast.

Any other ideas???

·
Registered
2016 Outback Ltd 2.5 eyesight Nav push button Hole in roof, Lapis Blue
737 Posts
Sounds as if it has 12" wheels on it and should have 17" wheels..:D

·
Registered
737 Posts
Look at the bright side it really only has 72k miles on it !:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lol! Wish that was the case but who knows when it started.
If it was mine, I'd drive it the way it is, but it's for my daughter.

Wheels are the factory alloy 15s and tires are correct size. Checked both online and took to Town Fair Tire.

I was thinking VSS however I don't think the symptons sound right, or the Speedo cable but again I wouldn't think either would result in the symptoms I'm having.

Anybody see this before or have a clue before I spend money I can't afford on parts I may not need.

·
Registered
18,735 Posts
How's the odometer? Does it read correctly, or is it also running fast? (If you're not sure, many highways have "mile markers" along the side. Note the odometer reading while passing one, drive for 10 miles, and note the difference in the odometer reading when passing the 10th marker.) Same for the trip meter, if it has one.

Does the high speedometer reading happen all the time and at all speeds; does it read high all the time or only sometimes, and is it only when travelling at highway speeds or at slower speeds as well?

There is usually a consistent relationship between engine rpm and vehicle speed when cruising steadily and the AT is in 4th gear with torque converter lock-up. (e.g, on my 07 OB, when cruising at 60 mph the engine is running around 2500 rpm.) I'm not sure what it is exactly with for the 97 Impreza, but when the speedo is reading unusually high, what's the tachometer indicating?

If the odometer is reading correctly, the tach is reading in the right range, and the transmission is shifting properly, it's more likely a problem in the speedometer drive circuit or the speedometer servo motor itself.

There have been some reports here of problems with the speedometers not working on Outbacks of that same vintage that were traced to problems on the printed circuits (I seem to recall bad solder joints). Perhaps a similar issue could be causing the speedo to read strangely. See, for example:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/111-gen-1-1995-1999/36512-intermittent-speedometer.html

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...utback-speedo-problem-fix-speedo-removal.html

Do a "search" for keywords "speedometer" and "solder". There's a fair number of related posts.

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
1,971 Posts
I don't think that's it since it shows both Mph and Kph and started it's life on the US east coast.

Any other ideas???
So, at '110mph' what does it read in kph?

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,111 Posts
It should be around 177 Kph

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
1,971 Posts
Aaannddd you missed the point.
(Anybody could do a Google conversion.)

·
Registered
737 Posts
All kidding aside, if it has a cable right to the back of the speedo it could be that it is "binding" and not rotating smoothly, would usually cause it to bounce around at some speeds. If this is the case spraying some lubricant I would use kroil or white lithium grease (not that found of WD-40 though some would swear by it ) otherwise as stated check the odometer against known distance, could be the wrong gear was installed in the transmission. Keep in mind you may find a gauge cluster on ebay if you need to replace it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts