Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a white limited outback (photo below) and i'm wondering if anyone has installed the Onyx grille or the sports grille specifically on a white OB? (I tried searching but nothing came up for white specifically) I am not a fan of all of the silver on the front of the car and think swapping the grille will take care of that, thoughts?

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx Edition, Storm Trooper white
274 Posts
Sports grill is different look for sure but you're still going to have the silver. Unless you get the JDM Sports grill. Onyx grill and the lower bumper but thats going to cost you $$ including labor. Might want to think plastic dip or vinyl.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sports grill is different look for sure but you're still going to have the silver. Unless you get the JDM Sports grill. Onyx grill and the lower bumper but thats going to cost you $$ including labor. Might want to think plastic dip or vinyl.
I got a few quotes for either grille and install ranging from 450 - 700$!

between plastic dip and vinyl is one more durable?

·
Registered
2020 Black Outback Onyx XT
27 Posts
I would go the opposite route and say plastidip properly applied is more durable than vinyl. Vinyl has a chance to peel from the edges but plastidip has been rock solid in my experience.
On the grill? Nah, the grill is gonna take a beating and scrubbing that when its caked in bugs is gonna hold up much better with the vinyl. I did vinyl on my previous outback grill and it held up perfectly with no issues at all. I plasti-dipped the emblems on the back with 4-5 coats and it was all off in less than a year.

·
Premium Member
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
554 Posts
We had our 19 done in vinyl and like it a lot.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
1,875 Posts
On the grill? Nah, the grill is gonna take a beating and scrubbing that when its caked in bugs is gonna hold up much better with the vinyl. I did vinyl on my previous outback grill and it held up perfectly with no issues at all. I plasti-dipped the emblems on the back with 4-5 coats and it was all off in less than a year.
Yup, I plastidipped my previous Subaru's sport grille in 2013 with five coats. It looked brand new when I sold it in last October. Held up to weekly washes with a power washer and the bristles of commercial car washes just fine.

Here it was on my old car the day before I sold it:

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
986 Posts
I would think that any picture of a White Onyx would give you the visual you are looking for. Here is one I pulled at random from a google search.
If it were me, I'd consider refinishing/covering the grill and undercover I had vs replacing it. ( Then again, I tend to be more frugal and practical these days ;))
You won't see it from where your sitting!

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outbacks, Grey Premium & Silver Limited
4,638 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx Edition, Storm Trooper white
274 Posts
I would think that any picture of a White Onyx would give you the visual you are looking for. Here is one I pulled at random from a google search.
If it were me, I'd consider refinishing/covering the grill and undercover I had vs replacing it. ( Then again, I tend to be more frugal and practical these days ;))
You won't see it from where your sitting!

View attachment 478955
Golly gosh, looks like my car... Storm Trooper look (y)

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
1,875 Posts
@josephine is the sport grille you are referring to the one with the honeycomb like pattern? I found one on eBay:

I like this one, it's the bees knees ?
As seen here on my outback

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@josephine is the sport grille you are referring to the one with the honeycomb like pattern? I found one on eBay:

I like this one, it's the bees knees ?
yes! that one

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6R Limited w/NAV & Moonroof
46 Posts
josephine, I had the bumper guard thing black vinyl coated, also. I also have a 2011 Outback that I Krylon painted the underguard, the fog light surrounds, and the grill....I had to re-paint them every other year. I, too, like the look of the sport grill - a lot - and almost added when I ordered my car, but I heard it is a pain in the @$$ to clean.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts