Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Outback Limited 5MT
68 Posts
What I have learned and found out is when you change one of the two (clutch or flywheel) is to change the other. I maybe be wrong but that's what I have learned. The clutch is like disc brakes in a nutshell (the disc being the flywheel and pads are the clutch).

As for a new clutch, you could go with a stage 1 clutch. Even if you don't intend to race with it, it should last longer than a standard clutch IMO as a daily driver. I am getting ready to order myself a stage 1 and a lightweight flywheel once I get the flywheel I am going to get it cryo treated (-300F degree treatment. There's a site that you can look up called "300 Below" here's the link http://www.300below.com/) so it will make it stronger and less likely to get hotspots (like what my current one has. Last owner change the clutch but not the flywheel).

If anyone has any input on this feel free to correct me or add something.

·
Registered
1993 Legacy LSi with still functioning Air Suspension, 1999 Outback 2.5L 5MT lab Rat
191 Posts
If you intend to strengthen the clutch with a stronger pressure plate I suggest a update for the snout on the Tranmsission. Several manufacturers make a steel sleeve that covers and protects the aluminum snout on the transmisson the release bgearing rides on. This prevents snout galling and clutch vibration and noise.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts