Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5i AT
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 32k mi one has developed a terrible squeak from the left rear wheel. I pulled wheel and see nothing obvious. The noise occurs at every bump and doesn't change with speed or brakes or turns. I can reproduce by pushing down on left rear bumper. I have put up on jack stand and no play in wheel left to right or top to bottom. Replaced pads/rotors a month or two ago and all that looks good. Disconnected left rear end link and still there. Put jack under left rear arm and pulled tire. Pushing on bumper the sound seems to come from the top of the strut. I pulled strut today and looks ok but there is some orange staining at the top of the dust boot up near mount. Planned to take apart strut but got wrong spring compression kit from Advance Auto Parts. Returned and got right kit but will have to wait till tomorrow as its dark. Thinking of just ordering a new mount kit and see if that does it. If not then new struts. What's killing me is I have only 32k mi.

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,111 Posts
A 2008 with only 32K miles?!! Wow, so you have another car then? Anyway, it sounds like you are on the right track with the strut and/or mount. My 2000 has the orange staining as well. Not sure why, just wanted to let you know you are not alone in that. Only other thought, anti-sway bar links, but perhaps too low for your noise. Just spit-ballin'

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,113 Posts
My 32k mi one has developed a terrible squeak from the left rear wheel. I pulled wheel and see nothing obvious. The noise occurs at every bump and doesn't change with speed or brakes or turns. I can reproduce by pushing down on left rear bumper. I have put up on jack stand and no play in wheel left to right or top to bottom. Replaced pads/rotors a month or two ago and all that looks good. Disconnected left rear end link and still there. Put jack under left rear arm and pulled tire. Pushing on bumper the sound seems to come from the top of the strut. I pulled strut today and looks ok but there is some orange staining at the top of the dust boot up near mount. Planned to take apart strut but got wrong spring compression kit from Advance Auto Parts. Returned and got right kit but will have to wait till tomorrow as its dark. Thinking of just ordering a new mount kit and see if that does it. If not then new struts. What's killing me is I have only 32k mi.
my wife's outback had a bad rear shock at ~65K. Her car sees 95% stop&go, short trips/secondary roads.

her 03 has about 75K

my 06 only has 42K !!!

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Outback Limited - 2.5 L Boxer H4 - 5 Speed Manual
341 Posts
See if you can replicate the sound by grabbing the roof rack and teetering the car body back and forth. If it happens, I had the same problem, and simple jacked it up, took the wheel off, and got in there really good with some lithium grease. I have to do this every 4 to 6 months because it usually finds its way back again, haha.

I can't remember which part it is specifically, but it connects the rotor to the body I believe.

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5i AT
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. DavidPeab, disconnected the link and noise still there so not sway bar.

Should have done this last night when I had the strut off but this a.m. pulled the strut and sprayed lube up around the strut mount and the rubber seat real good. Put back in and viola. No noise. Ordered new strut mount kit. I'll be able to tell better when I remove the old strut mount but I think I got some moisture up in there and corroded the underside of the mount. Thanks again for all your suggestions. Just seems strange part to fail with so few miles but wadyagonnado?

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5i AT
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Received strut mount kit today. Have gotten pretty good at removing the strut. Next was using the spring compressor and disassemble the strut. That was a little tricky at getting top nut off. Surprising to see very little in the way of damage to old mount except for a small amount of corrosion around the hole in mount where strut bolt sticks through. Reassembled and reinstalled. All is nice and quiet again :)

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,483 Posts
Received strut mount kit today. Have gotten pretty good at removing the strut. Next was using the spring compressor and disassemble the strut. That was a little tricky at getting top nut off. Surprising to see very little in the way of damage to old mount except for a small amount of corrosion around the hole in mount where strut bolt sticks through. Reassembled and reinstalled. All is nice and quiet again :)
With practice comes perfection. LOL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts