Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My 2016 Outback 3.6R makes a loud audible squeak when shifting from Park to Drive or from Reverse to Drive. Anyone else notice this? Not quite sure what could be causing this?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I know its unrelated but my 04 Forrester squeeked so loud when moving the shifter the neighbors could hear it. Every year I mentioned it to the deaer and they would tell me they oiled the cable/linkage and the squeek never went away. I got used to it and that was the end of it.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,340 Posts
Mine does the same thing and after analyzing when it happens, I think my spidey sense has it figured out.

Mine does it only in the very limited circumstances of starting the car after it has been sitting for hours aka overnight or at the office all day.

When I start the car the engine goes into an overly rich mode to heat up the cat quicker for smog and that means it has a high idle of around 1,600± RPMs. If I engage the car into reverse while it's in the 30 second or so high idle phase I get the squeak.

If I wait there's no squeak. I think it's the torque converter engaging that makes the noise as it jumps into gear.

Sound similar?

·
Registered
2016 Twi-Blue/Ivory OB 3.6R
238 Posts
Mine does the same thing and after analyzing when it happens, I think my spidey sense has it figured out.

Mine does it only in the very limited circumstances of starting the car after it has been sitting for hours aka overnight or at the office all day.

When I start the car the engine goes into an overly rich mode to heat up the cat quicker for smog and that means it has a high idle of around 1,600± RPMs. If I engage the car into reverse while it's in the 30 second or so high idle phase I get the squeak.

If I wait there's no squeak. I think it's the torque converter engaging that makes the noise as it jumps into gear.

Sound similar?
Mine does the same exact thing. I reported the dealer that I could hear a "chirp" and feel a surge.

The dealer checked it out..."Unable to verify customer concern. Cold soak CVT pressures are low 200s PSI. 1.5 second initial lag times allows the CVT to fill up both primary and secondary pulleys causing this chirping noise and at times a surging until pressure equalizes. Noise is considered normal. No repairs made at this time."

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,340 Posts
Ah.

That explains why it happens and also why it doesn't during the wait phase. It had nothing to do with a high idle but instead, that's when the pulleys are filling up.

Thanks for posting that.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
6,524 Posts
"... 1.5 second initial lag times allows the CVT to fill up both primary and secondary pulleys causing this chirping noise and at times a surging until pressure equalizes ...."
Could you ask them to cite a source for that information? I've never seen anything like that in any of the Subaru service training materials I've read. As far as I know, the Variator pulley actuators don't drain when dormant, and both pulleys have a substantial spring preload tension even when secondary hydraulic pressure is not present (e.g. when the engine isn't running). "Limp" mode of the CVT relies solely on that spring presssure to prevent Variator chain slip.

Subaru tech training documents do state that the 1.5 second max delay when shifting into D or R is designed into the system (presumably to reduce clutch harshness and prevent shock loading on the Variator assembly) and is controlled by metering orifices and hydraulic accumulators.

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 3.6R, Auto CVT
2 Posts
I came here and registered for the site specifically to log a "same here".

Same symptom: When cold and shifting into drive, there's a pretty loud squeak the first time I do it. It doesn't seem to occur after that until it's been sitting for hours. My wife never noticed it from inside the car, but I hear it every morning from the garage when I'm sitting at the breakfast table and she leaves for work. I finally got to experience it from inside the car this week and it was pretty subtle. I haven't yet pinpointed if it has any relation to the outside air temp yet but it has been colder here than normal (like 50F or less). Based on the number of complaints here, it seems like there should be a TSB for it.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,496 Posts
I came here and registered for the site specifically to log a "same here".

Same symptom: When cold and shifting into drive, there's a pretty loud squeak the first time I do it. It doesn't seem to occur after that until it's been sitting for hours. My wife never noticed it from inside the car, but I hear it every morning from the garage when I'm sitting at the breakfast table and she leaves for work. I finally got to experience it from inside the car this week and it was pretty subtle. I haven't yet pinpointed if it has any relation to the outside air temp yet but it has been colder here than normal (like 50F or less). Based on the number of complaints here, it seems like there should be a TSB for it.
what year and engine you got? (not all gen5 are created equal)

Want people to stop needing to ask what exact car you have? year -model -engine -trans, scroll down to "your car": https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...do=editprofile

·
Registered
18 Outback 3.6r Touring
461 Posts
I posted previously about this “chirp”. It has gotten worse and now happens anytime going into drive, from park, reverse, neutral. Two dealers tell me it’s normal for the cvt. Searching the forums it seems a common occurance. Enjoy the drive knowing you have a 10yr/100k warranty if it should actually fail.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
2,511 Posts
Interesting, I've never heard anything like this from my CVT. A search of the Gen 5 forum turns up just a few additional complaints that are fairly similar (and a couple more that describe different noises when shifting), so seems rare enough that it's hard to imagine it being a common problem. Guess it could just be something that's not likely to bother most people.

·
Premium Member
2018 Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R Crystal White Pearl/black interior
333 Posts
We get the chirp in the morning and when we shift into reverse a little too quickly before letting the engine warm up for a few seconds.

·
Premium Member
2010 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i w/AWP 6MT
411 Posts
My 2018 3.6 touring does it every day after sitting overnight. I had a 2019 2.5 base model loaner for a week and it never did it.

Scott
Your 2018 has a TR690 high torque CVT.

Your 2019 has a TR580 CVT.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru OB Premium
235 Posts
Interesting, I've never heard anything like this from my CVT. A search of the Gen 5 forum turns up just a few additional complaints that are fairly similar (and a couple more that describe different noises when shifting), so seems rare enough that it's hard to imagine it being a common problem. Guess it could just be something that's not likely to bother most people.
My 06 Sentra has chirped going from 2nd to 3rd it's whole life and the trans has never let me down. Sitting at 150K, does it mostly when it's cold out.

My 2.5 OB hasn't squeaked or chirped at me yet, but transmission problems on the forums as you said seem to be rather few and far between. So I reckon it's like all other automatics, you're going to have some that have some quirks, some that are flat lemons, and some you never have a single complaint from.

It's got a super fat warranty anyways, and doesn't someone on this forum have a 5th gen with 260,000+ miles on the original engine/trans? Can't say I'd be too worried.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
2,511 Posts
Ok, add me to the list with what I would call a squeak when shifting into drive. Seems to have started about a month after the dealer dropped the transmission to replace a weeping gasket (which also necessitated a drain and fill of the CVT and front diff). Sounds pretty benign to me, but what do I know.

·
Premium Member
2010 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i w/AWP 6MT
411 Posts
Normal...

This is normal. Here's why your Subaru with the high torque TR690 CVT chirps when shifting out of park or between Reverse and Drive.

"...the CVT (filling) up both primary and secondary pulleys (causes) this chirping noise and at times a surging until pressure equalizes. Noise is considered normal."

To avoid it, give your car a minute or so to "warm up" and pump up the pulleys. Remember, pressure in some parts of the CVT are 1,200psi, so, if you start and immediately shift, it needs to surge fill the pulleys - or you can give it a few seconds.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts