Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
2010 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i w/AWP 6MT
411 Posts
Baffles me too...

That's exactly it. Wonder why I wasn't getting it for the 60k miles that came prior.
Dunno. Baffles me too. I do know the CVT fluid for the TR690 was changed at some point a year or two ago. Possibly different properties to it that cause it to sound differently when surge filling through the valve bodies to the pulleys.

But, as of now, I've dug through all the major Subaru forum (Foz, WRX, OB, Leggy) where the chirping TR690 has been mentioned, and there's no clear pattern, and only that one answer. :|

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
1,666 Posts
Time to trade.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
2,359 Posts
Time to trade.
Trade to a new vehicle? Because even brand new vehicles make a little squeak? I don't follow that logic.

...the CVT fluid for the TR690 was changed at some point a year or two ago...
There was a fluid change for the TR-580 but I haven't heard anything about one for the 690 in Gen 5 Outbacks. Can you point me to a source for that?

EDIT: I see there does appear to be new fluid for the TR690 in the Ascent which, presumably, has been beefed up a bit more for the turbo and towing capacity (SOA748V0300). I guess that might be interchangeable with the Gen 5 HT-CVT factory fill (V0200), but there's limited information available at the moment.

·
Registered
18 Outback 3.6r Touring
444 Posts
Mine now chirps or squeaks every time shifted into drive. Warm or cold doesn’t matter. Dealer can duplicate it but doesn’t know why and until it fails they can’t do anything about it.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited 50th Anniversary
52 Posts
Normal...

This is normal. Here's why your Subaru with the high torque TR690 CVT chirps when shifting out of park or between Reverse and Drive.

"...the CVT (filling) up both primary and secondary pulleys (causes) this chirping noise and at times a surging until pressure equalizes. Noise is considered normal."

To avoid it, give your car a minute or so to "warm up" and pump up the pulleys. Remember, pressure in some parts of the CVT are 1,200psi, so, if you start and immediately shift, it needs to surge fill the pulleys - or you can give it a few seconds.

How many minutes do I need to let it sit? I've let it sit for two minutes and it still happens. Similar to the drivers seat squeak. Subaru doesn't care, they make an inferior product and tell their "loved customers" they don't care. Subaru junk.

·
Premium Member
2010 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i w/AWP 6MT
411 Posts
How many minutes do I need to let it sit? I've let it sit for two minutes and it still happens. Similar to the drivers seat squeak. Subaru doesn't care, they make an inferior product and tell their "loved customers" they don't care. Subaru junk.
As mentioned, varying conditions produce varying chirps after startup for varying lengths of time. So, I couldn't tell you. I just passed 46,000 miles and my TR690 still variably chirps after I've just started my car. I simply drive away and ignore it.

And, have you tried emailing Subaru or taking your car to another dealership to be checked out? Dealership isn't Subaru. Also, as you may have noted from my video, they actually have tests they can use to confirm whether it's normal operation and a normal chirp, or if your CVT is having problems pressurizing. Can't hurt to have it checked.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts