Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2011 OB, Limited...before had 2010 OB, Premium, 6MT, HK
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in another section of the site, but didn't get any responses, so I'm posting it here. I hear this sound when the car is warming up, but I do not hear it when we are going highway speeds/fan turned up high.

Do sounds like this usually mean the blower fan is going bad? Or could it be something else?

Thank you.

·
Registered
2017 OutBack Premier, 2019 Forester Ltd, 2016 370z Rdstr
717 Posts
stw,

Either some small pine needle, etc., is stuck in the heater fan shroud and is just rubbing the squirrel cage fan as it spins, or one of the bearings in the fan motor is starting to go. Those bearings are non serviceable, but the fan is easily removed from the car and can be replaced with a used one from a wrecking yard.

Under the passenger side glove box you'll find a dome shaped plastic cover that is the bottom of the fan assembly. Pop it off (maybe screws are involved, been several OBW's since I pulled one), remove its drain tube to the firewall, disconnect the wiring connector to the fan motor, remove 3 bolts/screws that hold the motor/fan in place, and the whole unit drops down onto the floor.

Spin the fan to find any debris that might be touching the blades (check up inside the fan chamber as well), hook the fan connector to 12 volts to see if its a bad bearing, and replace the unit if necessary. A used one should be less than $50. Easy fix.

·
Registered
'03 Outback H6-3.0 Black Granite Pearl, base model with cold weather package and cloth seats.
1,061 Posts
But do not be tempted to use the plug that normally powers the fan for the test. With the fan motor out, there will be no cooling are flowing over the resistor that controls fan speed. It will burn out without proper cooling airflow.

Search the site for threads on the subject of HVAC fan replacement. There are several.

·
Registered
2017 OutBack Premier, 2019 Forester Ltd, 2016 370z Rdstr
717 Posts
stw,

FSM (pages AC-37 and 38) shows testing the blower motor by supplying 12 volts directly to the two pin connector of the blower motor assembly. The fan speed transister is inline of the circuit before the motor wiring connector. It doesn't come into play when checking the fan motor with 12 volts directly. There is no way to overheat and burn it out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts