Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, my baby has caught a case of the squeals. I don't know what that means. I don't know where it came from either.

It only happens when I first start the car and it usually goes away after 30 seconds or so.
What are the common reasons for squeals? It's surely a belt issue, but it isn't limited to when I have the A/C on, it happens with it off too, so I don't think it's the A/C belt.

I replaced the Power Steering belt in the spring. But the squeal didn't start until about a month ago. Perhaps the belt is loosening? Or maybe it's too tight/getting tighter due to the higher temperatures?

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
i thot it used same belt for most accessories. ??

regardless, as belts age, they do get glazed and turn to something less like rubber and more like hard plastic. as it starts to do this, it tends to be least pliable when engine is cold but "bites" better when belt warms up. i'd probably replace the belt and keep the old one stowed in car for trip insurance. cheap and super easy job.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Does sound like a loose belt especially as the squeal occurs just after start; more load on the generator and cool=less flexible belt. Trouble is if the slipping goes on too long the belt develops a shiny surface onto the drive pulley and the problem gets worse.

·
Super Moderator
6,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It helped. Hasn't squealed since I tightened the rod.

However, the belt seems tighter than it should be, doesn't seem "give" enough when I push on it. I've heard that can be trouble for the motors that rotate the belt and the alternator. Time will tell.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
Greeny, give it some slack. You will ruin the bearings of the pulleys that that specific belt drives. Brian

·
Registered
36 Posts
Find the centre of the longest free length of belt between two pulleys, you should be able to press down the belt about three eighths to half an inch using your thumb or index finger. That is a rough guide and if it squeals again a new belt is probably the best option as the cost will be peanuts compared to the damage an overtight belt could do to various expensive bearings. Good luck, hope it's OK.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
one reason i'd suggest you consider getting new belt and keeping old for emerg spare is that i've seen a belt cut/damaged before by rocks spit out from under front wheels tiddly-wink style. be a real bummer if this happened in the wayback.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
Maybe it's not your belt squealing afterall. Maybe it's a bearing from one of the pullies it drives. Better hope not. Good luck. Brian

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
this actually would explain why it is showing up now, 4 mos after belt replacement. when the new belt was installed, it was probably tighter and placed more side loading on idler pulley bearing than the old belt did. if brg was already sorta on last legs, this could well have been the last straw for it. i agree with Srs. Brian and SHO. if you dlr quote is too much, try local a/c places as idler pulleys are often generic.

on the "tiddly wink effect" i mentioned...rock spit out from wheels of truck 2 lanes over took out windshield on my OBS yesterday. ouch. $240 later (they felt they had to do the windshield gasket too)....

b

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
sounds like a good plan, subject only to how soon the weather in rochester gets really ugly, since this is a "strand you" item.

if it does get nasty before anything has died yet, might try loosening belt all the way but not removing, pulling it away from the tensioner wheel so latter rotates freely without belt interference, and seeing if you can replicate the noise when it's cold by spinning the wheel with fingers. if so, maybe at least get and carry a new one...????

yah, bummer on the glass. but as i told her when she started trying to flog herself, it's a Subaru, not a Ferrari Dino. i'm quite fond of it but it WILL get some whacks due to its outbacky nature and even if totaled, could be easily replaced with another one i'd be quite fond of......# of semis on I25 since NAFTA is part of the problem...8-10x what it was before.

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,696 Posts
Could you have someone start it cold while you stand and observe the belts? You might see something that gives you a clue about the noise.

Also, if the surface of the belt is "glazed" that's a sign of slippage. Once this starts, the belt gets a harder surface, which has even more tendency to slip and squeal when cold.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
7 Participants
The_Lizard
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing