Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, anyone have recurring issues with the airbag system. Our 2015 Outback in at the dealer for the 3rd time. Light came on while driving the beginning of June. It doesnt come on every time you drive it, it is very random. So of course whenever we scheduled to bring it in for service - the light wasnt on. The first time they said they found a slightly loose wire so tightened it and sent us on our way. Light came back on. Again, brought it in with the light off - code said it was the module - they replaced the airbag module and sent us on our way. Light came on again and we were able to drive it right to the dealer so they could diagnose it while the light was on. They said the code was for "electrical interference" and are blaming the car charger (not sure how a car charge can interfere with hardwired airbag system). But they have drivien it and it hasnt come back on (can't recreate the problem) so they are trying to give it back to us. Except they havent fixed anything - just the light happens to be off at this point (like it was the other times we took it home).
Anyone else having a similar issue or know of anything that might be causing this. We don't buy the phone charger scenario.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,473 Posts
What is the code they are getting from the SRS?

The SRS is not that complicated. Sensors, lights, module, wiring. Sensors in the seats, bumpers, body panels. Lights on the dash and overhead console. Wiring connects them all. The module runs it.

In some cars, and I haven't run across it with a Subaru yet, the phone charger interrupts signal communication in the car, not only wireless communication, but also CAN communication because of the electrical field created by the charger. Odd sounding, yes, but it happens. Most times its a cheap charger that does it. Take the charger out of the car and the problem may go away. Doesn't cost you anything to try it. If its had a regular cycle of lighting up, then you know when to expect it. If the codes set with the charger absent, then drop it off, pick up a loaner and tell the to keep it until they find the problem.

Older Subarus would have cracked solder on a board for a warning/indicator light associated with the SRS and finding and repairing it would solve the issue. The stored codes on the SRS module would help narrow it down.

·
Registered
2019 Outback Wagon 2.5i limited
290 Posts
Yes, my 08 has problems with recurring SRS airbag light. It comes on once and a while and the next time you turn the car off and restart it, it’s okay. I haven’t bothered taking it in for a diagnosis, because it always goes off (so far). I have a code reader, but I don’t think my code reader can access that part of the computer, (same with antilock brake problems).

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,318 Posts
call the subaru 800 # and ask for another dealer.

the nearest ones can suck..

(the nearest 2 to my home in service are

expensive monkeys that break more then they fix,....and the other = crooks....(just straight crooks).

so if I am out for dealer service....I have to go a 3rd one at 80 miles . (so be it, vs. the turds).

·
Registered
18,297 Posts
Yes, my 08 has problems with recurring SRS airbag light. It comes on once and a while and the next time you turn the car off and restart it, it’s okay. I haven’t bothered taking it in for a diagnosis, because it always goes off (so far). I have a code reader, but I don’t think my code reader can access that part of the computer, (same with antilock brake problems).
Possibly the same as in https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/109-gen-3-2005-2009/42574-2006-obw-airbag-light-my-fix.html

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They only get a stored code (as the light never comes on driving to the dealer) is B1815. We have an apple certified charger. They cannot get the code to come on while they drive it, and there is not a pattern. I have litterally driven less than a mile and it comes on, other times I drive 30+ miles and it comes on. Sometimes it goes days without coming on. There is no rhyme or reason. They have told us everything is in working order twice and we take it home to have the same thing happen. We have also been using the same charger the entire time we have owned the vehicle (we bought it used in November) and this just started last month. They also drove it with their aftermarket charger plugged in and their phone on the seat and the light did not come on. So I don't think that is the cause. It is in for the 3rd time and they are still trying to tell us it is fine but we know as soon as we get the car home it will happen again....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Which air bag light? Driver or passenger? It could be a bad seatbelt buckle though I'd think that'd show up as no seatbelt light, I've seen buckles cause airbag light. Or could be a damaged wire pretty much anywhere.... Unfortunately it costs a fortune to find bad wires if you're DIY check every plug for airbag sensors, soundsike plain bad connection. As vibration wiggles wires/plugs signal comes and goes. Look for corrosion in plugs or abraded harnesses.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,473 Posts
See attached and find a new Subaru Service department. My data does not have DTC list for 2015 so what I have for 2014 is attached. I doubt that the code definition or diagnostic is different. Pic 6 is the Outback layout, pic 7 is the legend for the index numbers and is the layout for the sedan. The connectors are placed different between the Outback and Sedan, so who ever checks needs to make sure they follow the right diagram for connector location.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Outback Wagon 2.5i limited
290 Posts
Hmmm, could be the same issue with me, I haven’t really noticed the seat belt light in the overhead console, but I’ll pay more attention and have asked the wife to look as well I remember years ago, when the car was still under warranty, they fixed a SRS warning light ( I think) and the problem was in the console back then. The warning light was on all the time back then.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,567 Posts
B1815 Open in Passenger's Airbag Dual Stage - 2nd Step

The diag code says there's a short somewhere between the control module and inflator module. Was there any recall/warranty/service work performed near the glove box (like a cabin air filter replacement)?

I've attached the FSM page, which the dealer will have as well, but you might have to pay diag time for them to actually look at it since it's probably out of any sort of warranty. I'd ask around to see what the cost/time would be. Maybe even approach SOA about this as well to see if they'll pony-up some diag time.

EM interference should not be an issue as it's only effecting one airbag/module. Could also just be a bad air bag.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts