Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I went over to Napa and bought a new battery for my 2013 Outback 4cyl manual. Cranked it yesterday to make sure all was well but didn't do much more. Drove it today to work and it stalled on me many times. As an important note it has never done this before until today. I've had no issues with stalling before. The car had a lot of trouble https://speedtest.vet/ https://vidmate.bid/ idling, the rpms were down around 500. It would stall when I would shift into neutral or depress the clutch at lower speeds as I was about to shift gears. I have to think this problem is electrical or the battery because of this happening abruptly. any thoughts on what to do. My plan is to clean the connectors and check the wiring to make sure everything is good. Also I need to confirm Napa sold me the appropriate battery.

·
Registered
2019 Outback Wagon 2.5i limited
184 Posts
My 08 does that every time I disconnect the battery. The ECM has to relearn your driving habits and I think fuel trim and other things, but I’m not a mechanic. It may take a couple of days of driving to get back to normal.

·
Registered
2012 OB , 2017 Impreza
3,161 Posts
Totally normal - disconnecting the battery causes the computer lose its memory (literally)
It forgets how to idle, how to shift, how to be efficent....etc FOR EVERY AMBIENT TEMPERATURE it has memorized. A drastic temparture swing will also cause some running issues until relearning.

If you wish to NOT lose computer settings and radio presets... simply use a standard 9v battery to maintain voltage when changing the battery.

·
Registered
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
1,209 Posts
You may need to do an “idle relearn” procedure. If you do a Google search you should find the topic on this forum for the procedure.

The last time I replaced a battery in my daughters 2007 Legacy it suffered the same problem that you describe. After I did the idle relearn it idled perfectly again.

Seagrass

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
13,345 Posts
I think you should check your battery cables. I've seen this a lot lately where an owner put in a new battery and the clamps were not as tight as they thought. You can tighten the nut on the ground clamp til it quits turning and it may still be loose. The metal stretches. Grab it and try to twist it. If it moves take out the plastic spacer from the clamp and then it will tighten more. Or replace the clamp.

As for the idle learn, I don't think it's been an issue on Gen 4 cars. The gen 3 had an idle learn that took up to 20 minutes, but I've not had issues with later Gens. After a battery disconnect it should learn the idle in a few minutes after start up.

·
Registered
2012 OB , 2017 Impreza
3,161 Posts
I think you should check your battery cables. I've seen this a lot lately where an owner put in a new battery and the clamps were not as tight as they thought. You can tighten the nut on the ground clamp til it quits turning and it may still be loose. The metal stretches. Grab it and try to twist it. If it moves take out the plastic spacer from the clamp and then it will tighten more. Or replace the clamp.
The only caveat is BEWARE of putting excessive force on battery post when snugging down nut on battery terminal. Only make snug enough so the the connector will no longer 'spin' on the post.

The issue is that the seal between the battery post and plastic battery case can be cracked.... you can end up with acid leakage and green 'fuzz' growing on your battery terminals. There have been several folks on these forums who installed BRAND NEW battery only to see the green 'fuzz' several months later.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts