Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And my OB continues to crap out on me piece by piece.

Anywho...here's the situation:
After a 25 minute drive, I turned the car off, let it sit for about 30 minutes, went to go turn her back on and all the accessories came on fine, but the engine wouldn't turn over...I mean not even a click...nothing at all. It wasn't the battery, and it didn't give the typical symptoms of needing a new starter. (I just had a refurbished starter installed at my Subaru dealership). I had it towed to the local Firestone (because my dealer is 120 miles away), and when they went to start it up the following day, it started right up and ran fine. They tried to replicate my driving from the day before, and even left it sit on for a while trying to raise the heat. The car ran fine. So they called and I went to go get it. When I got there, they tried to back it out of the bay and every time they started it up, after a couple of seconds, it stalls on them as if it's out of gas. So obviously it's still there, for the past four days now. The computer isn't telling them that anything is wrong, so they're kind of at a loss for words.

Is it even possible those two situations are connected?...or is it just coincidence that they happened around the same time?

Ideas?

Thank goodness I have my bike....Gary Fisher, you are the only company I can count on all the time.

·
Super Moderator
6,009 Posts
Spark Plugs? Plug Wires? Water/Humidity in the Gas Line/Tank?

Has it been wetter than normal in your neck of the woods?

Try adding some "dry gas" to the tank.
If that doesn't help, check the condition of your plugs and wires.

I'm sure someone else here has some ideas too.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Have you ever run it out of gas? Fuel injected cars can get air in the lines and need a major service to remove this. As for when it wouldn't turn over at all, sounds like something overheats and refuses to work, if the battery is OK, I would suspect something to do with the starter motor, don't they have a capacitor or something that helps with the initial surge, maybe that is faulty.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The starter moter idea is a possible one. I'm going to have it towed to a Subaru dealer from the Firestone. They have no clue even after looking at it all day today. Any suggestions on how I can argue if they give me a problem about not paying them for the "labor" of their looking at the car? Cause ****...they didn't do anything....
As for ever running out of gas, no I never have.
Gracias for the suggestions though.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Mine did a similar thing where it wouldn't start a few weeks ago. I washed the car and general cleaning of the inside but usually I turn the courtesy lights off and don't use the radio but this time (for some reason) I didn't. Two hours later tried to move the car and it wouldn't even click. Radio and lights were ok. Called the automobile club out and they checked the battery and it seemed ok. Jump started me and drove around for a while. Hasn't happened to me since.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
chrisx
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing