Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2007 Outback H6 LL Bean - Champagne Gold Opal
6,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It rained hard today for several hours.
When I got in my car to drive less than a mile to band practice, it hesitated the entire drive, especially going up a large hill in my neighborhood.

I had to baby it, barely giving it any gas, in order to make it to my destination.
Everytime I tried to accelerate, it felt like it was moments away from stalling.

Coming home, I had no problems...it started fine and I was able to accelerate normally.

I think it was probably water/humidity/evaporation in my gas tank/line. Anyone else think that's right? Or has anyone else had a similar situation or have any ideas what else the problem might be?

And finally, anyone have any recommendations for Dry Gas/Water Remover?

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,547 Posts
More likely bad plug wires or coil pack. The heat from the engine probably dried everything out when you reached you designation. Otherwise, why wouldn't the water still be a problem? Try using a mister to spray around under the hood and create a miss. I've read of some folks doing it at night and seeing the spark or even listening for crackling. There are gas dryer products - usually isopropyl or another alcohol. One brand is called HEET.

let us know what does it.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Yeah, most likely nothing to do with the fuel, most likely electrical due to the high moisture. Coil pack, plug wires... Brian

·
Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
6,684 Posts
Everytime I tried to accelerate, it felt like it was moments away from stalling.
If this were a carbureted engine, I'd say it sounds like you're losing vacuum - the classic symptom being an effect by which the more you ask for through the trottle, the less you get.

But you have injection, so that shouldn't matter. But it also shouldn't matter that the car was sitting in the rain.

Hmm ... has a cat gone missing in your neighborhood?

·
Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
1,617 Posts
I agree with The_Lizard, definitely not something a fuel injected engine should do. Even if the fuel were a bit wet (but rain shouldn't cause that anyway since the fuel tank is basically sealed in a way that can vent excess pressure only) the engine management should be able to adjust and cope. Of course if the spark plug lead were a bit loose on the plug AND a lot of water got up around it that could cause problems, would run rough and not want to pick up engine speed I suspect.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts