Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Outback LTD
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone successfully removed and replaced the nav unit and put the cubby hole/clock assy back into their gen3 outback. My nav unit keeps dying after about 30mins, if you cycle the key it comes straight back on for a while. Just don't really want to spend the money on replacing the controller. I know the wiring is different at the back of the display, two larger plugs instead of one. Any advise is appreciated thanks.

·
Registered
2005 OBW 4AT implant JDM 2.0 NA
37 Posts
Not positive but I think the NAV is part of security. If so, the replacement unit will need to be programmed. Research EEEPROM this is the part of the computer that holds security keys. Mismatched vin in modules will activate immobilizer(I think that the right term)

·
Premium Member
2008 JDM Outback 3.0R, 5EAT
407 Posts
Hi I removed the factory navigation system from my 2007 JDM Outback 3.0R (push button start) as it was working intermittently (some sort of power issue) and in Japanese which I do not understand. My navi was a Panasonic Strada system that didn't have language conversion available.

So I removed ;
navigation screen and bracket from between the upper air vents,
air vent assembly h0017ag933
harddisk box from the glove compartment
amp and bracket from under the passenger seat
navigation computer and brackets from under the driver seat

And replaced ;
central cubby and clock assembly from eBay
had to get two clocks as the first one had some sort of glitch which may be a known soldering issue
note there's a couple variations of clock button layout - i looked at similar vehicles to figure out which one to get
anyway the working one for me has suby part # 85201AG200

Took a while to take the nav system out with heaps of cabling to pull. Some cables like those from the rear window aerials I just coiled up and left. Whilst the goal wasn't weight reduction the box of removed stuff was approx 10kg.

The car had a Kenwood GX-204 radio below the navigation screen which I kept and use with GROM BT3 for bluetooth handsfree calling and music which has been reliable over the last six months.

It's great there's a little more storage space in the glove box and centre console now. The only issue is the rear speakers don't work although I didn't check if they worked with the navigation system installed so that's a project for another time

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 Outback LTD
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, its a 2.5 LLBean, the one with some of the LLBean stuff but not all?

·
Registered
2007 Outback LTD
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like a whole lot of fun, the USDM system is totally different not half as much wiring but it is far more integrated into the main harness. I know all the wires must be there in the various plugs but not too sure without spending a lot of time pouring over wiring schematics

·
Registered
'17 3.6R Touring Brillant Brown Pearl
2,424 Posts
I don't think the nav is coupled to the security system. It's pretty much a stand alone unit. It's own controller under the seat, and separate display.

·
Registered
2007 Outback LTD
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't think the nav is coupled to the security system. It's pretty much a stand alone unit. It's own controller under the seat, and separate display.
tep, this is the case, i have swapped the head unit and also swapped the controller with no adverse effects to the security system. Cheers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts