Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:We live in a hurricane prone area and have flooding in our garage during some storms....how much standing water can my 2018 Sub Outback3.6 stand before having any water cause damage? We have used wheel ramps in a couple of storms to gain excess height but it would be interesting to know actual clearance.
Thanks

·
Registered
807 Posts
We have friends in Bellaire, TX who had an OB parked in their garage in 12 inches of water for 2 days during TS Harvey and there was no water in the interior or gears. They said water was up to the little trim "hubcaps" and these are 12 inches off the ground.
If you can afford it and have a tall enough garage ceiling, this is an interesting idea:https://www.costco.com/QuickJack-5,000-LB-Capacity-Portable-Car-Lift.product.100460313.html Looks like you can get up to 21 inches extra height.
In some of these flood prone areas they are mandating that new construction be much higher off the ground than currently, but the new code won't allow the garage floor to be likewise raised, so you will still have to evacuate if you want to keep your car dry. Unless you can lift up the car in the garage that is.

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
I have the Quickjacks and like them, but I wouldn't like the idea of the hydraulic cylinders being underwater for an extended period of time. If any rust develops on the piston shafts, that could be very hard on the oil seals.

Best to use jackstands; they are a lot less expensive.

·
Registered
759 Posts
If you can afford it and have a tall enough garage ceiling, this is an interesting idea:https://www.costco.com/QuickJack-5,000-LB-Capacity-Portable-Car-Lift.product.100460313.html Looks like you can get up to 21 inches extra height.
It's only 21" of lift so subtract the distance from the ground to the bottom of the car where the jack contacts the car.

I agree with johnre, heavy duty jackstands or ramps would be my choice if I could not move the car out. Most folks with multiple cars that cannot evacuate them all will drive them over to the airport and park in the elevated garage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
dukey33
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing