Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Premium Member
2,157 Posts
I don't care about the remote start, but do like the locate car and remote unlock features. We access these through the My Subaru app. If I don't want to pay $150/year to renew, does the My Subaru app lose all that functionality, or just the remote start?
I believe it loses everything.

I use mine almost every time I drive, particularly when leaving home. I can start it by voice from my cell phone (or other devices) and have it warmed up or cooled down (and the engine just idling down) when I get in.

· Premium Member
2,157 Posts
It can only be done with the existing fob if you get the add-on remote start installed. That will give you a separate fob for long distances (up to 400ft with no obstructions) or you could use the main fob for short distances (50-75ft). This will not work unless you get the add-on remote start installed. Yes, you can get it installed later even if it wasn't included with the purchase. However, it will cost a lot and you're better off with renewing the Starlink subscription.
This.

For the retail cost of buying the remote start and having it installed you pay will $700ish. For that price you can buy 4+ years of Starlink service at $150/year.

As a side note, you can set up Starlink to work with the voice capability of you phone and run the commands via voice.

· Premium Member
2,157 Posts
The process is linked to in the comment you quoted...the blue lettering. Click on it. :)
Based on the last part of his comment I think he watched the video and decided it wasn’t worth the effort. To be fair, it does seem a bit daunting when you first look at it. I had never used Siri Shortcuts before so that was a learning experience.

As an FYI, on mobile (iPhone) the links don’t show up as blue.

· Premium Member
2,157 Posts
Also Subaru makes a keyfob with a start button. I am wondering how much this would cost at time of purchase.

Googling this it appears that a regular FOB should work by locking the doors and holding lock for 3 seconds but I was unable to get that to work on my 2020 Outback oynx which does have remote start that works with the app.
As previously stated, the standard key fob remote won’t start the car without the remote start system you list above installed. It’s not just a fob, it’s the entire remote start system designed for the cars as a dealer installed/aftermarket item. You can install it yourself, but the dealer has to program the remotes. The Starlink capability and the system you linked above are two completely separate systems with zero crossover or compatibility between them. You can have them installed and use them independently of each other.

· Premium Member
2,157 Posts
I wonder how they put your Starlink through without a credit card. Since you buy the car from the dealer they must have some way to transfer money. When I went through it everything was presented as a transaction between me and Starlink, nothing to do with the dealer.
May just me how your dealer does business. Everything after you agree to buy the car is an add on that the dealer is likely making a profit on.

My dealer paid the $75 for the 3 years of the upgraded Starlink service, my card is NOT on file with Starlink for auto renewal. In fact, the billing section is completely blank.
My dealer did the same. Starlink is a line item on my contract as part of the purchase of the car and was rolled into the final price that I financed. I’m have no intention on giving Starlink a CC number until the time comes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts