Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6R
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I get the dial-out in a crash feature on StarLink. Noted. Acknowledged

What else does StarLink do for you, beyond dial-out, that can't be done with a typical cell phone? Does Pandora function without Starlink? Google Maps... ? Spotify?

I guess I am wondering what the expense of StarLink actually, really buys you (me), the consumer. If crash reporting is not a concern... why have it?

Insights appreciated.

Thanks !!

·
Registered
MY17 2.5i Limited
37 Posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5 Premium w/ power moonroof, dimming mirrors and power hatch. All weather package
364 Posts
I'm strongly leaning against paying for the basic service after my first year. I'm really waiting to see what the car does on the dashboard alerts. So far windshield washer refill light has come on. I also got an email telling me that winshield wiper fluid is low and I joke you not, a video on how to fill the winshield wiper tank. Ok. Cute. Not worth paying money for the email. Waiting to see if the dashboard light will come on when I reach 6000 miles for the first service.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,291 Posts
I got a warning that one of my tires has low tire pressure. it was a little low and I waited a day or so to fill so...

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5 Touring
43 Posts
I got a warning that one of my tires has low tire pressure. it was a little low and I waited a day or so to fill so...

A starlink warning? Like an email? Or app notification?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,291 Posts
Reactions: Dnp1970

·
Registered
Former: 2010 & 2002 OB
360 Posts
If you don’t plan on using Starlink, do you need MySubaruApp? Can you still use Apple Carplay without it?

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Does nothing for me or my wife. Have never used it or considered subscribing to it in any of our Subarus.

When a tire is low the TPMS dashboard warning will light up. Don't need an email to advise me.

Reactions: BayNative

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Limited Titanium
444 Posts
I’ve used the Locate my car feature a couple times when I forgot what side street I parked on when traveling. I air-down my tires when I drive over sand at the beach and find it funny getting an email alert to check my tire pressure. Is it worth it? I don’t know.

·
Registered
75 Posts
How do you locate your car using the starlink app on an iphone? It keeps telling me that I need to pair it up with the car.

·
Registered
2018 2.5l Outback Touring
14 Posts
How do you locate your car using the starlink app on an iphone? It keeps telling me that I need to pair it up with the car.
I haven't messed much with the Starlink app but on my iphone when I lock the doors my iphone automatically marks the cars position and I can use Apple Maps to find it without needing to rely on any third party app.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I haven't messed much with the Starlink app but on my iphone when I lock the doors my iphone automatically marks the cars position and I can use Apple Maps to find it without needing to rely on any third party app.
Ok, now I am really confused. How do I get mine to do that?

·
Premium Member
2016 Tungsten Outback 2.5l Premium w/ES, OP 14, PP #4
501 Posts
Bluetooth is not needed for the vehicle locating or lock/unlock functions. The phone app communicates with the car via ATT cell network. The car gets it's location via GPS and communicates the info to your phone, again thru ATT cell network.
Bluetooth can be used to make calls and stream audio from your phone to the car's system. Try disabling BT on your iPhone.
If you haven't done it you will need to setup an online Starlink acct. so the app will know who you are.
For a substantial part of the year I don't have ATT cell coverage so Starlink didn't work.

·
Registered
MY17 2.5i Limited
37 Posts

I’m able to locate my sooby but it doesn’t do it automatically. I have to go into MySubaru app and “locate vehicle”.

·
Registered
2018 2.5l Outback Touring
14 Posts
Ok, now I am really confused. How do I get mine to do that?
I didn't set this feature up other than the phone has been paired to the HU using Bluetooth. I am using an older iPhone 6S running the latest iOS. From the main home screen swipe to the right to show things such as battery life, weather, etc. One of those that you can add, if it isn't already on by default, is Maps Destinations. Under that it shows where you left the car parked. It will also show up in the Apple Maps app. So for me anyway this works just fine.I have uploaded a couple of cropped screenshots.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5 Premium w/ power moonroof, dimming mirrors and power hatch. All weather package
364 Posts
Does nothing for me or my wife. Have never used it or considered subscribing to it in any of our Subarus.

When a tire is low the TPMS dashboard warning will light up. Don't need an email to advise me.
That's what I was wondering from the other post above on the low pressure. A signal on the dashboard is really all I think I'd need in most cases.

I'm wondering what, if any, mechanical issue would not show up as a dashboard warning that would make an email useful.

·
Registered
MY17 2.5i Limited
37 Posts

I don’t believe that has anything to do with STARLINK. It’s an Apple maps setting?

Reactions: WannaBinHD

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R Package 23
1,665 Posts
My iPhone does this and I don't have CarPlay or Starlink. It always remembers where I parked my car because it knows when it was synched with BlueTooth and assumes the car is parked when it loses sync.

I don't need cellular data embedded in my car. What I'd like is a better integration with the cellular data and applications in my smartphone. I should be able to use a smartphone application and Bluetooth to unlock my car doors if I lock my keys inside. All the car telemetry information should be relayed to a smartphone application via Bluetooth. I should be able to push useful things from my smartphone to the NAV screen.

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Limited Forester (hers) (4th Subie), 2014 Impreza Premium (mine)(#5)
2,298 Posts
Okay, there are two different things going on with Starlink - Safety Plus and then Safety Plus combined with Security Plus

Safety Plus has
- the SOS emergency service and Automatic Collision Notification - pretty self explanatory, something you hope you never need, but are happy to have when you do
- Enhanced Roadside Assistance - you're in BFE and your car breaks down, it sends your GPS location so they know where to go (especially handy is rural areas)
- Maintenance Notifications, Monthly Vehicle Health Report, Diagnostic Alerts - really just for those people who ignore the lights on the vehicle (which too many people do)

Safety Plus combined with Security Plus has
- Everything above
- Stolen Vehicle Recovery Service (you have a built in LoJack system)
- Vehicle Security Alarm Notifications - your car alarm is going off, you'll get texts and e-mails automatically
- Remote Lock / Unlock - use your phone when you lock your keys inside the car (which happens), or worse, you go - did I lock the car before I left? Just use the app and make sure it's locked.
- Remote Horn / Lights - maybe useful, but I've not seen it too much
- Remote Vehicle Locator - now THIS is useful. Did you forget where you parked your car? It will show you the Google map image of where your car is - even if the car is in motion. Is your 16 year old out in your new Subaru? You know where it is. Is your 80 year parent who has a medical issue out in her Subaru and has an incident? You can find her quickly.

Breaking it down - it's less than the cost of your daily can of pop from the vending machine. Do you ever expect to use it? Of course not. But like any other type of insurance - which is really what this is - if you end up needing it, you're darned glad you have it.

Look at it this way as well - do all of you have a spare tire in your car? Of course you do. Do you ever expect to use it? Nope. Are you darned glad you have it when you ran over that nail? Because we've all heard those horror stories of the run-flat tires or cars having fix-a-flat and a compressor ...

1 - 20 of 45 Posts