Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have not read through all of the many discussions regarding the Subaru start/stop programming, but I have an idea that may work, but can't try it myself as I do not have a Sub with start/stop. My wife has a 19' Chevy Equinox with S/S and with this vehicle you can shift into manual mode and shift up to high gear. In high gear, it will continue to automatically shift up/down normally, but the start/stop will disengage. I realize Subaru is a different animal as their gears are only simulated, but wasn't sure if this has been tried?

·
Registered
2020 Outback, 2020 WRX, 2011 Legacy, 2005 Legacy GT wagon
22 Posts
The auto stop/start feature of Subaru will work if all conditions are met. Meaning, Subarus like to be stopped, then the motor will shut off, you can by pass this by stopping a little differently, as in a creeping stop. I sell Subarus and have a 2020 Outback that I bypass all the time by stopping a little bit differently. I hope this helps!

·
Registered
453 Posts
OK, but are you doing the Chevy trick because it doesn’t have another way, like a button, to turn off start stop? I know that some vehicles have no built in disengage mechanism.

Seems to me like that work around is no easier than the three tap move on the OB touchscreen. So no advantage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium / 2020 2.5i Premium / 2021 Rav4 Prime / 2012 F150 ecoboost
2,679 Posts
The auto stop/start feature of Subaru will work if all conditions are met. Meaning, Subarus like to be stopped, then the motor will shut off, you can by pass this by stopping a little differently, as in a creeping stop. I sell Subarus and have a 2020 Outback that I bypass all the time by stopping a little bit differently. I hope this helps!
I think three taps when you get in and the drive it like it's a regular car is the way to go. :)

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, Crystal White Pearl
251 Posts
THANK YOU. I will have to try it. I'd still like a system that stays off until you tell it to turn on. I know that If I release some of the brake pressure at a stop, that it will let the engine run. Just have to be careful I do not creep forward and get into trouble.

·
Registered
251 Posts
There are a bunch of "when it will not activate" in the manual, like high AC, steering wheel turned and more. However I still prefer a full time switch off. Since that's not happening I go for the release some pressure and make sure I do NOT roll into someone.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, but are you doing the Chevy trick because it doesn’t have another way, like a button, to turn off start stop? I know that some vehicles have no built in disengage mechanism.

Seems to me like that work around is no easier than the three tap move on the OB touchscreen. So no advantage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Correct, "the Chevy trick" is an alternative the a S/S turn off button which is not available of the 2019. The reality is, the Chevy S/S is very smooth and I have found no reason to not let it do its thing. I only bring it up because it seems some people are complaining about the 3 screen touch turn off process as being a pain and also some are saying that the restarts are a bit rough...

·
Registered
251 Posts
Correct, "the Chevy trick" is an alternative the a S/S turn off button which is not available of the 2019. The reality is, the Chevy S/S is very smooth and I have found no reason to not let it do its thing. I only bring it up because it seems some people are complaining about the 3 screen touch turn off process as being a pain and also some are saying that the restarts are a bit rough...
I must confess that the reason I do NOT like it is two part:
  1. Fear, of not getting away from a stop sign in heavy traffic, in time to avoid the crash.
  2. Wear and tear on the vehicle.
When I rented a jeep last year the auto stop-start was scary. That's where I learned to reduce the brake pedal pressure. However my fear reaction would take over when a vehicle would come by. So it was not a perfect workaround.

·
Registered
2020 Outback XT Limited
34 Posts
Tip for covering the lag of an engine restart: when you know you're about to be moving again — for example the light has turned green but there's still another car in front of you — press harder on the brake and then partially release it, back to the original pressure you were applying. This will cause the engine to start.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Tip for covering the lag of an engine restart: when you know you're about to be moving again — for example the light has turned green but there's still another car in front of you — press harder on the brake and then partially release it, back to the original pressure you were applying. This will cause the engine to start.
Seems easier to just turn it off every time.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Of course it's easier. But I don't want to do that because I want the gas savings.
Yeah, in that case there are several options, it's all listed in the manual as well.
I don't care about the tiny gas savings, prefer to not have to deal with it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I also read that if the front window defroster is on the SS will be disengaged? Is that correct? (I have a 2012 OB and am thinking of getting a 2020.)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not sure about that. The rear window defroster and mirrors are electric. The electrical draw is high needing the engine to stay running. The normal defrost setting for the front windshield is accomplished through heat from the heater core and the hvac fan.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
On some rental cars I have had, when coming to a stop, shift to neutral and come to a stop, then put back in drive. The engine did not stop. No experience with a new Subi so YMMV.

·
Registered
2020 touring XT
287 Posts
I understand that turning on defroster activates rear, side and de-icer. If so, de-icer heat may contribute to the windshield crack. I would rather take extra steps to just turn it off using car setting. I have not done this yet but I was thinking about removing defroster relays and use defroster button. I have no idea what the consequences will be. If anybody tried that, please post.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
13,421 Posts
I understand that turning on defroster activates rear, side and de-icer. If so, de-icer heat may contribute to the windshield crack. I would rather take extra steps to just turn it off using car setting. I have not done this yet but I was thinking about removing defroster relays and use defroster button. I have no idea what the consequences will be. If anybody tried that, please post.
Owner's manual page 530 lists the fuses in the engine compartment. Removing 25 amp #33 disables the rear heating element, Removing 15 amp #29 disables the front windshield heating element (and probably the side mirrors). With both fuses out, the rear defroster button still disables S/S.

Not sure if I pulled the wrong fuse, but at one point my windshield washer stopped spraying until I put what I thought was the #29 back.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts