Subaru Outback Forums banner
21 - 40 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Abyss Blue Pearl OB XT
394 Posts
Not my fav part of the Touring XT. I have over 60 mins of the stop with a fuel savings of approx .4 gallons? But the stopt/start is a bit rough after a stop. Odd part that the car does not normally stop every time. I could be at a stop light stopped with the wheel straight, etc. and sometimes the engine stops and sometimes it does not?

·
Registered
2020 touring XT
288 Posts
I heard that you have to be pretty firm on break to stop the engine and also you can not creep into stop. You have to stop like you want to stop.
I pulled both de-ice and rear def. relays. I will post the follow ups after I drive few miles.

·
Registered
2020 Outback XT
6 Posts
Seems a shame that so many OB owners are having to come up with crazy workarounds to turn off a "feature". Hopefully someone at Subaru monitors this stuff and they come up with a simple software update to either allow us to turn it off permanently or set a reasonable delay. They clearly have many customers who are unhappy with this one "feature" of an otherwise really great car.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
14,349 Posts
I removed both relays for defog and de-ice, everything is OK. I can shut S/S off by pressing def button. Def and De-Ice do not work so I don't have to worry about stress to the glasses in Hawaii weather.
So your windshield washer works?

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
14,349 Posts
Yes, it does....
I must have pulled the wrong fuse then. Could you do me a favor and take a photo of your fuse box so I can see exactly which fuses you pulled?

·
Registered
2020 touring XT
288 Posts
In order to reduce the number of fuses, they design the circuit so multiple components to share the same fuse. I just checked the de-ice fuse and it is shared with washer. When you mentioned the washer not working, I suspected that so I pulled the relay instead of removing fuse. I will take some pictures and show you what I did.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium / 2020 2.5i Premium / 2021 Rav4 Prime / 2012 F150 ecoboost
2,683 Posts
Yoyash, did you pull fuses or relays?
Can you provide some details (maybe even pictures) of which relays you have pulled?
Maybe we can just re-route the control input to these relays to a switch that we add on the left side of the steering wheel, instead of actually pulling the relays?
I few close-up pictures of the removed relays would be great, plus the location!
This sounds VERY promising!

Thanks a lot for your help!!!

·
Registered
2020 touring XT
288 Posts
Well, you still have to push the def button to deactivate S/S, so adding switch is no help unless you want to keep the def and de-ice function available at your fingertip when needed. I do not need either functions in Honolulu so, I just simply killed them. But if you do need the functions sometime, it will be easier to keep the relays and have switch. Adding DPST switch should do it. BTW, I am an electronic engineer.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
14,349 Posts
Yes, but that works for about 10 minutes before it turns itself off. But it's fine for a short one-way trip.
In the 2020 at least can set it to "continuous" so that it doesn't time out

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium / 2020 2.5i Premium / 2021 Rav4 Prime / 2012 F150 ecoboost
2,683 Posts
BTW, I am an electronic engineer.
Me too. :) We should meet and work on this.

Well, you still have to push the def button to deactivate S/S, so adding switch is no help unless you want to keep the def and de-ice function available at your fingertip when needed. I do not need either functions in Honolulu so, I just simply killed them. But if you do need the functions sometime, it will be easier to keep the relays and have switch. Adding DPST switch should do it.
Yes, I would like to add the switch to keep de-ice and def available if needed.
Pictures and details of what you pulled from where would be great!

·
Registered
2020 touring XT
288 Posts
Def and De-Ice Fuses and relays are located in same area where eyesight and other safety and vital function related fuses and relays are located. As much as I would like to show exactly what I did, I am also concerned about my legal responsibility in any accident, warranty problem or other serious damages to the vehicle due to this modification. So, I would like to refrain from showing any more than what I have so far.
If I get 100% indemnified from all those legal mumbo jumbo, I am more than glad to post the pictures and all. Sorry, but please understand.
Just to let you know I am working on the device which will electronically push the def switch everytime engine is started. I have prototype of device made but the problem is finding out the wiring diagram. I can take display section apart to find out the wiring but I don't think I want to do that yet. Once I get hold of wiring diagram, I will finish the project. Then once legal thing is clear, I will post it.

21 - 40 of 91 Posts