Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
2020 touring XT
287 Posts
I would like to get hold of the source code. Then I can modify the initializing process to add permanent kill for S/S. I have no idea what language they use so it is a very long shot. I have been checking Japanese sites and found the way to read the ROM. But, I have no patient to decode all. I am thinking about sideloading small program to starlink but that is a long shot also. Hardware is the easiest way, I think.

I think it is a good time to come, because of Coronavirus .. we have a lot less visitors from Asia, not so clouded.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium / 2020 2.5i Premium / 2021 Rav4 Prime / 2012 F150 ecoboost
2,679 Posts
Yoyash, please check you private messages. Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have not read through all of the many discussions regarding the Subaru start/stop programming, but I have an idea that may work, but can't try it myself as I do not have a Sub with start/stop. My wife has a 19' Chevy Equinox with S/S and with this vehicle you can shift into manual mode and shift up to high gear. In high gear, it will continue to automatically shift up/down normally, but the start/stop will disengage. I realize Subaru is a different animal as their gears are only simulated, but wasn't sure if this has been tried?
I like the technique of barely braking. This will prevent the auto stop from occurring. One of the service writers at the dealership mentioned if you turn on the rear window defogger, that will prevent the auto start/stop as it violates one of the many conditions it requires to activate.

·
Registered
2020 touring XT
287 Posts
They want to prevent defogger eats up all the battery while engine is not running. More and more i think about it.... it is a dumb idea to have S/S on by default. There should be permanent kill switch or setting. Default should be off and give option to be on as default or wanted.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
13,455 Posts
If I get 100% indemnified from all those legal mumbo jumbo, I am more than glad to post the pictures and all. Sorry, but please understand.
Then once legal thing is clear, I will post it.
I am not a lawyer and the following is not a legal opinion, just the opinion of a forum user:

I do not think that you take on liability for what other people do if they view your photos. People in forums every day share what they did and it is understood that it's on an "at your own risk" basis. Nobody can predict what will happen in someone else's vehicle, only state what happened with their own.

It is clear that you are not suggesting, endorsing, advocating, urging, or recommending doing what you have done, nor are you making any claims on whether or not it interferes with the other functions of the vehicle. Every owner is responsible for their own actions. It would be different if you said that you officially represent Subaru, but you haven't said anything like that.

You're merely documenting what you did, as a test procedure and reporting the results that you have found in your personal vehicle. Nothing more, nothing less. Other owners are responsible for the modifications that they make to their own vehicles, and for the way they operate it.

There is always the possibility that there was an undocumented change to the fuse box in production - for example, someone else discovered that the "AVCS" fuse in the fuse box is missing, and I have verified that in my own fuse box, but AVCS is apparently functioning, and the contacts in the fuse box where it indicates the AVCS fuse should be, are not completely installed - thus, the fuse box diagram is factually incorrect and it's impossible to know which if any fuse boxes are wired the way the diagram says it is. If you show people what you did with your fuse box it doesn't mean it will work exactly the same way in their fuse boxes.

I have documented the use of a Fumoto valve in my oil drain pan, but if someone else uses one in their oil drain pan I should not be held responsible if there is an oil leak or it doesn't fit. I experimented because there was no documentation of what the thread was in the oil drain pan.

I have also documented the installation of tweeters in the dash and speakers in the doors, - but if someone else does it and it fries their infotainment system, or deploys an air bag, that's not my liability. Similarly, people have shared the LED bulbs that they have installed, which doesn't make them liable for what happens when someone else does it.

When someone posts that they went 10,000 miles without an oil change, that does not make them liable for someone else doing so and a main bearing seizes.

Some people report that they use the lane centering with no problems, but if someone else uses lane centering and has an accident, it's not the fault of the person who said that lane centering worked for them. There is no way for anyone to know how lane centering will react on another person's roadway.

It should be understood that by showing your picture, you are not taking on any liability.

·
Registered
2020 touring XT
287 Posts
Well my daughter is a lawyer in San Diego. And as you know, living in USA, you get a bunch of sue-happy people. And my wife's name is SUMI.. pronounced.. Sue Me. Ha... no joke.
PM me and I will show you what I did.

·
Registered
2020 touring XT
287 Posts
While I was checking fuse and relay... I noticed main fan fuse is missing. Is this normal? ( I guess it is,since it is a new car and working) Manual shows location # 28 25A Main Fan, without any note.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
13,455 Posts
While I was checking fuse and relay... I noticed main fan fuse is missing. Is this normal? ( I guess it is,since it is a new car and working) Manual shows location # 28 25A Main Fan, without any note.
I will check in a few hours and send a picture of my fuse box.

·
Registered
2020 touring XT
287 Posts
I checked and it is open ended at terminal.
No connection.
This model has separate fan controll modules.
So it is normal not to have fuse there.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
13,455 Posts
I checked and it is open ended at terminal.
No connection.
This model has separate fan controll modules.
So it is normal not to have fuse there.
Ok, here's the picture anyways, for future reference. The 10 amp AVCS fuse #19 is missing also

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Touring xt
125 Posts
I would also love to see a pic of the two relays to remove. Another 6 weeks or so and I'll be able to do without the rear defogger and heated mirrors etc.

Thanks

·
Registered
2019 Outback Limited, 3.6R, Abyss Blue
203 Posts
Seems a shame that so many OB owners are having to come up with crazy workarounds to turn off a "feature". Hopefully someone at Subaru monitors this stuff and they come up with a simple software update to either allow us to turn it off permanently or set a reasonable delay. They clearly have many customers who are unhappy with this one "feature" of an otherwise really great car.
S/S exists to help achieve the extraordinarily strict government CAFE mandate enacted in the ***** administration. Period. EPA assumes 50% of people will turn it off if able to. Manufactures get extra credit if it's permanent. They get no credit for no system. They get partial credit for default-on but with ability to disengage it every time car is started, which is the middle ground most manufactures take.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
13,455 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
If this S/S thing is for safety reason, I can live with it, but the whole reason is to make their gas mileage claim to be legit. I think S/S causes more tear and wear to the car than the cost of gas savings.
Nothing to do with safety. It's done purely to help meet a CAFE mandate enacted by the ***** administration. Reasonable factors like increased complexity, cost, wear and tear, annoyance, inconvenience, insignificant fuel savings don't matter at all.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Nothing to do with safety. It's done purely to help meet a CAFE mandate enacted by the * administration. Reasonable factors like increased complexity, cost, wear and tear, annoyance, inconvenience, insignificant fuel savings don't matter at all.
Wow, the last president is censured!

·
Registered
203 Posts
S/S exists to help achieve the extraordinarily strict government CAFE mandate enacted in the * administration. Period. EPA assumes 50% of people will turn it off if able to. Manufactures get extra credit if it's permanent. They get no credit for no system. They get partial credit for default-on but with ability to disengage it every time car is started, which is the middle ground most manufactures take.
Wow, the last president is censured!

·
Registered
14 Posts
One thing on the start stop issue is in the summer in the south it’s hot. If the start stop feature affects the A/C, that car will get quite warm in sitting at a stop for 2 minutes. I’m hoping that the A/C stays on and cooling thru stops at traffic lights, other wise the temp inside the car will rise rapidly!

Curious if anyone is experiencing the inverse in Cold weather where it turns off the heat?

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium / 2020 2.5i Premium / 2021 Rav4 Prime / 2012 F150 ecoboost
2,679 Posts
One thing on the start stop issue is in the summer in the south it’s hot. If the start stop feature affects the A/C, that car will get quite warm in sitting at a stop for 2 minutes. I’m hoping that the A/C stays on and cooling thru stops at traffic lights, other wise the temp inside the car will rise rapidly!

Curious if anyone is experiencing the inverse in Cold weather where it turns off the heat?
The engine will not shut off in that case.
The A/C can't cool without the engine running.

41 - 60 of 91 Posts