Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
61 - 80 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
The engine will not shut off in that case.
The A/C can't cool without the engine running.
So that will reduce the efficiency of saving fuel. I figured out on my mileage a year a save maybe 5 gallons. But 5 gallons on millions of vehicles would be substantial.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
13,455 Posts
The engine will not shut off in that case.
The A/C can't cool without the engine running.
With A/C running the Start/Stop does shut off, but then it turns back on a couple seconds later, unless the A/C is at max or the blower at max or something. Haven't figure it out entirely, but when I leave it on auto, at say 68 degrees, it shuts off and then starts up again a few seconds later.

·
Registered
2020 touring XT
287 Posts
I was going to fool the hood open detection sensor, but 2020 model uses electronic sensor instead of simple mechanical one and semi-integrated with hood latch. I will keep tinker with it but for now I go with relay trick. As soon as I get hold of wiring diagram I will add auto initialize and relay bypass circuit.

·
Banned
4 Posts
Del Rae
Registered

Joined 3 mo ago
1 Posts

Discussion Starter • #1 a moment ago
I joined this forum a few months ago after purchasing a 2020 Outback and was looking for a way to fully override the infuriating auto stop/start feature. I saw a thread here that lead me to AUTOSTOP Eliminator at 2020 Subaru Outback Autostop Eliminator. I contacted the owner, but at that time they had not had enough access to a 2020 to fully engineer the product.

Well, now they have as I just received an email from them advising that they are now taking pre-orders. Go to the above link, place a pre-order and get $15 off the $100 price. I just ordered one* and will add to this post after installation and testing.

* I am a 2020 Subaru Outback owner and not associated with AUTOSTOP Eliminatior.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited
24 Posts
Of course it's easier. But I don't want to do that because I want the gas savings.
Gas Savings!? For several tanks (over 4K miles now) and letting it do it’s start/stop thing, the maximum I saved per tank was a whopping .07 of a gallon. Yes, less than .1 (one tenth) of a gallon! I find most interesting most everyone dislikes Subaru’s IMPLEMENTATION of start/stop and are trying to find a workaround. It is rough and I suspect it adds a lot of added wear and tear on the starter system. Many are so smooth. (Toyota for instance) that it makes one wonder.

·
Registered
2020 Outback LDF MSRP $37,383
104 Posts
Of course it's easier. But I don't want to do that because I want the gas savings.
Gas savings -baloney !!! In 6000 miles my S/T has saved 0.5 gal of fuel. Not enuf for the aggravation. It's just a scam to get a minute better economy fuel rating.

Reactions: bloomz

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited
476 Posts
Many are so smooth. (Toyota for instance) that it makes one wonder.
Maybe a Toyota Hybrid? I've had two previous BMW's with ASS and they weren't much better than the Outbacks' implementation. What they did have though was a physical ASS off button that retained state, so if you turned it off it stayed off until you turned it back on again.

·
Registered
2020 Outback XT Touring - Abyss Blue Pearl
106 Posts
I have disabled ASS maybe half a dozen times since purchase. Just "saved" 1 gallon after 1238 miles. I average < 20 mpg, so my fuel savings is < 1.6%. That barely qualifies as a rounding error.

(I've already pre-ordered the Start Stop Eliminator)

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT Ice Silver Metallic
504 Posts
I defeated stop/start by buying a 2019 model.
So you bought a last gen model just to avoid something that can easily be turned off on the home screen or permanently turned off with a cheap aftermarket solution... cool cool.

·
Registered
2019 Limited 2.5
332 Posts
So you bought a last gen model just to avoid something that can easily be turned off on the home screen or permanently turned off with a cheap aftermarket solution... cool cool.
It's just one of many factors that made the gen 5 the preferred choice for me.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited
24 Posts
Has anyone tried magic pixie dust..I heard it will disengage the s/s if you twirl around twice as you toss it into the air.
No pixie dust but I just got the screen update (WR1-20) FREE from the dealer. Within that update they moved the S/S button to the Home Screen! Now it is simply a touch of the finger each time I start the car. I can live with this fix. THANK YOU SUBARU for listening!

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT, 2013 Outback Limited 3.6R
612 Posts
No pixie dust but I just got the screen update (WR1-20) FREE from the dealer. Within that update they moved the S/S button to the Home Screen! Now it is simply a touch of the finger each time I start the car. I can live with this fix. THANK YOU SUBARU for listening!
Yeah, I updated my f/w a couple of weeks ago, and am now considering de-installing/selling my auto-S/S eliminator harness. The one-touch solution is pretty good for me too, and it's one less thing to consider if my car needs to go in for a service (I'd rather not deal with questions, or perhaps challenges if there's an electrical issue, if I forget to uninstall). Yeah, the design is such that it shouldn't be an (actual) issue, but convincing a service-manager of that is a whole different deal.

61 - 80 of 91 Posts