Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 White Limited Hybrid
501 Posts
[Off Topic] Interesting the name of a previous president is censored, but ASS isn't - lol [/Off Topic]

·
Administrator
1,473 Posts
[Off Topic Response] A.S.S. isn't a political timebomb..... or is it? [/Off Topic Response]

I am happy my 5th Gen does not have the Auto Stop/Start.

Reactions: walker and Darkw

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an 2021 Outback and not a big fan of the auto on/off, and there are 3-4 button clicks to manually disable each time you start the car :-(
Two methods I've found:
1) The on/off is disabled when a trailer is connected. If you have a towing kit installed you can trick it into thinking it has a trailer on as the lights connector has a magnetic reed switch in there, so jam it open with a piece of styrofoam. The plug folds up under the bumper anyway so you don't get dirt in it. Only downside you need to consider is that the "auto braking" when on the reversing is disabled. The proximity sensors all work fine though.
2) When you pull up to a stop, just keep the break feathered on to hold you in place. It takes a little practice, but the computer thinks you are ready to go and doesn't stop the engine.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
14,401 Posts

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
3,019 Posts
2) When you pull up to a stop, just keep the break feathered on to hold you in place. It takes a little practice, but the computer thinks you are ready to go and doesn't stop the engine.
I've gotten quite good at applying JUST enough brake pressure to engage the AVH function but I rarely break the threshold of engaging the auto start/stop. It's almost like a game...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Don't like the feel when it restarts on my '21, concerned about engine or transmission damage due to starting the engine while in drive.

My software version has a button to disable it just over the driver side AC controls so the first thing I do when getting in the car is press that button. There's a setting to disable it but the setting is ignored and Auto Start/Stop gets activated every time the car is started.

·
Registered
2021 Onyx XT
712 Posts
Don't like the feel when it restarts on my '21, concerned about engine or transmission damage due to starting the engine while in drive.
Don't you think Subaru, and the other manufacturers have taken this into account? After all, they've been in vehicles for several years.

There's a setting to disable it but the setting is ignored and Auto Start/Stop gets activated every time the car is started.
Subaru moved the setting to the main screen so it is more convenient to disable. They did emissions and mpg testing with autostop/start enabled. Hence why it reverts to On with each start. The other setting is really superfluous.

Why people continue to complain about it when there is a solution is a mystery.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited and 2015 Forester Limited
378 Posts
Well aware of that, have seen it in Volvo's, GM's and others but still don't like how it feels when releasing the brake so in my case is turned off all the time.
You can turn it off every time you start the vehicle or you can install the AutoStop Eliminator and turn it off once and forget it. It's your choice.

·
Registered
2021 Onyx XT
712 Posts
Where can I get that?
Google search for ‘autostop’ returns

81 - 91 of 91 Posts