Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all!

(98 legacy outback 30th, auto)

I'm having a very odd issue. Starter has new contacts. Installed, started the car fine for about a month. Now the starter won't engage the flexplate. Turning the key - it clicks over and whines (constant) but does not turn the motor at all.

I pulled it and had it bench tested, all is well.

-Put it in drive and pushed (dead spot on flexplate?) notta.
-Tryed in Neutral, not the issue.

Only thing I can come up with is not enough amps. The battery is new and has good voltage. The clamps on the car are indeed the factory stamped deal, and could be in nicer shape. Just doesn't make sense that it'd be the problem.

Any insight would be appreciated. It's not my car, but my friend is biking to work currently. Winter is coming!

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,289 Posts
Make sure the ground cable is attached to the ground bracket on the top bolt.

Check amperage conductivity from the battery to the starter.

If its clicking, that's the solenoid working and you are getting the signal from the starter circuit in the ignition. Spinning is the drive motor working. Not engaging means a weak electromagnet in the starter drive that can't throw the shaft or not enough amperage to do so.

If it works on the bench, its most likely poor amperage flow.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you tried bypassing the ignition switch?

No I did not. Didn't think it'd be in ignition as it clicks over and whines.

The battery is new, but the cabling is sub-par. The ground is attached. The terminals are a bit flimsy, they'll get replaced.

JUST did the same thing on my VW Rabbit (new wiring/terminals) easy job.

Thanks everyone. I'll sort it out and keep it posted.

·
Registered
'99 Outback 2.5 GT auto & '97 LegOB w/ grossly insulted 2.5
141 Posts
Most starter drives incorporate a one-way roller-clutch which really varies in quality in refurbed units. Hope for that & not ring gear ills.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts