Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first new car in 20 years and I'm wondering about the warm up procedure for the car. Do you need to let the car idle settle from its initial higher setting before putting the car in reverse/drive? The manual is vague?

What say you all?

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
I park in my garage (usually temp is above freezing). I start the vehicle and back out of my garage after only a few seconds. I take it easy as the car warms up, and the heater usually starts blowing at about 2 miles (at which point the temp gauge indicates the car is in normal operating temp).

So nothing special here.

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
This is my first new car in 20 years and I'm wondering about the warm up procedure for the car. Do you need to let the car idle settle from its initial higher setting before putting the car in reverse/drive? The manual is vague?

What say you all?
Nope - the modern cars are designed that you start up and go ... also oils now are thin enough to lubricate all components even if/when cold. After you start get moving at less than 1000 RMP until the engine warms up. Since you seem to live in FL letting the car run is a waste of money and increases pollution. That's what I do in FL....

·
Registered
824 Posts
Agree with everything said here for the most part.
On the days where it hovers around 0F I do let it sit and run for probably no more than 2 minutes before I gently drive off. 0F is cold, so call me a freak but I give it a little time.
This isn't too often though, a handful of times each winter.

·
Registered
323 Posts
lrjet55<SCRIPT type=text/javascript itxtBad="1">vbmenu_register("postmenu_481333", true); </SCRIPT>

Car: '13 Ouback 3.6 limited

You're from FL. No warm-up is needed.

I don't think you'll ever need AWD there either.

Now if you are living in the COLD NORTH like in 'LA (Lower Alabama) you might just need to get in and drive.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I agree with others, just start it up and drive on most days. At 30 degrees (F) below zero, I will start it and let it sit for about ten to fifteen minutes, then start driving very slowly until everything is well-lubed and greased. I can imagine the consistency of the wheel bearing grease at 30 to 40 degrees below zero.

Any other days, we just start it and go, typically driving easy until the engine is warmed up. Very few times would I floor the car for any reason until the engine is at least somewhat warmed up, the colder it is outside, the more easy I am on the vehicle (I treat them all the same).

When I first started driving in the early 70s, I had a fairly new car, still on the 36,000 mile warranty. One morning at about 15 degrees (F), I started it and immediately floored it down the street. When it wound-up to about 5,000 RPM's in first gear the timing chain broke. I then learned my lesson to take it easy on an engine that is not yet hot, let alone NOT-YET WARM!

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
Not sure if it holds true for the new (2010-current) cars but I have found that I can blip the throttle to get the engine down from high idle to normal idle just after startup. This has the effect of reducing the lash going into gear (5EAT) but has never caused me to stall.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
You guys are nuts. Hop in and drive reasonably and you will be fine. No need for warm up.

You are saying you get in and sit in your car for 10-15 minutes when it is 30 degrees?? There are no ill effects to grease at 30 degrees. If it gets to MINUS 30 then you should think about Arctic Condition grease for wheel bearings.

OK if you have auto start and want to thaw things out (ice on windshield) before heading out, but you are just wasting gas and wear on your engine. It is actually much more beneficial to be moving than to sit idleing.

You just don't want the car to be cold and flog it. After about 1-2 minutes of driving it should be good to go for anything that requires more throttle.

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
lrjet55<SCRIPT type=text/javascript itxtBad="1">vbmenu_register("postmenu_481333", true); </SCRIPT>

Car: '13 Ouback 3.6 limited

You're from FL. No warm-up is needed.

I don't think you'll ever need AWD there either.

Now if you are living in the COLD NORTH like in 'LA (Lower Alabama) you might just need to get in and drive.
What kind of conclusion was that? I do frequent trips skiing (Calif, Colorado and Whistler, BC) and therefore I do need it! Are you saying that Subaru should close all dealerships in the South because here people don't need 4 wheel drive... amazing....yes, bad sense of humor it its best! Where is Stuart anyway....

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I let the engine idle until the RPM drop from ~2000 to ~1500, this usually takes 30 seconds. Sometimes I'll start the engine then put my work stuff in the back seat, by the time I get in the driver's seat I only have a short time to wait. I park in a garage all night so I'm not really concerned about the rest of the fluids unless it's REALLY cold out.

·
Registered
514 Posts
You guys are nuts....You are saying you get in and sit in your car for 10-15 minutes when it is 30 degrees?....
I'm nuts?
YOU MISQUOTED WHAT I WROTE!
I stated:
At 30 degrees (F) below zero, I will start it and let it sit for about ten to fifteen minutes....
Take some time and learn to read. :28: :17:
I couldn't have made it any clearer that it is NOT 30 degrees ABOVE ZERO!
:17: DOUBLE-DUUUUUHHHHHHH! :17:

Actually, I start it up at 30 degrees and it takes me fifteen minutes to decide whether I want to turn on the heat or the air conditioning.......BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA~!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
My dealer originally told me to wait until the blue light goes out before putting in gear. I thought this sounded bogus so I wrote to Subaru - here's their reply:

Thank you for contacting Subaru of America, Inc. I appreciate the opportunity to be of assistance.

There is no harm in driving the vehicle while the blue coolant temperature light is on upon starting the vehicle. The light should go off as soon as the engine has reached operating temperatures - which may take a little longer in the colder weather. Once the light is off, your vehicle is at optimum operation. Your Owner's Manual will provide details regarding times when there could possibly be an issue.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Best regards,
Jennifer Streitfeld
Customer Dealer Services
Subaru of America, Inc.

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
My dealer originally told me to wait until the blue light goes out before putting in gear. I thought this sounded bogus so I wrote to Subaru - here's their reply:

Thank you for contacting Subaru of America, Inc. I appreciate the opportunity to be of assistance.

There is no harm in driving the vehicle while the blue coolant temperature light is on upon starting the vehicle. The light should go off as soon as the engine has reached operating temperatures - which may take a little longer in the colder weather. Once the light is off, your vehicle is at optimum operation. Your Owner's Manual will provide details regarding times when there could possibly be an issue.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Best regards,
Jennifer Streitfeld
Customer Dealer Services
Subaru of America, Inc.
And that is why, I guess, Subarus no longer have that "blue" light but reversed back to the regular temp gauge instead (too many confusions and complaints about that) - I had that "blue" light on my 2010 Forester XT and I wish I had a regular temp gauge ... now I do ....

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
I'm nuts?
YOU MISQUOTED WHAT I WROTE!
I stated:

Take some time and learn to read. :28: :17:
I couldn't have made it any clearer that it is NOT 30 degrees ABOVE ZERO!
:17: DOUBLE-DUUUUUHHHHHHH! :17:

Actually, I start it up at 30 degrees and it takes me fifteen minutes to decide whether I want to turn on the heat or the air conditioning.......BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA~!
You are right! At those low temps I would heavily use the remote starter and let it run for a while, with heaters/defrost/defog and butt warmer at max settings. Snow and ice will melt, etc.etc.

·
Registered
514 Posts
You are right! At those low temps I would heavily use the remote starter and let it run for a while, with heaters/defrost/defog and butt warmer at max settings. Snow and ice will melt, etc.etc.
EXACTLY!
:17: Thank you for understanding what I wrote in PLAIN-ENGLISH. :17:

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
And that is why, I guess, Subarus no longer have that "blue" light but reversed back to the regular temp gauge instead (too many confusions and complaints about that) - I had that "blue" light on my 2010 Forester XT and I wish I had a regular temp gauge ... now I do ....
I think - could be mistaken - that only the new Limited's have a conventional temp gauge and that the base and premium models still have the blue light and the eco guage as previous years.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the replies fellas.

I've decided to start the car, drive immediately,without allowing for the warm up, straight to a dealership to trade in my unnecessary AWD vehicle for a front wheel drive version.

·
Registered
824 Posts

I've decided to start the car, drive immediately,without allowing for the warm up, straight to a dealership to trade in my unnecessary AWD vehicle for a front wheel drive version.
This is the way all these discussions go, don't take it personally.
I am sure the czar of what people need will be with you shortly.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts

Well, you could drive it on the beach.......:D

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
About this Discussion
35 Replies
19 Participants
there4igraham
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing