Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 Outback with 193,500 miles and I had an issue this morning. I went to the gas station on my way to work, forgot my wallet, so I drove home to get it. When i arrived at my house I put my hazards on due to my double parking in the street. When I return, my car wont start, the hazards wont turn on, and i get this buzzing/ticking noise from the dash with smoke coming out if i leave the key in the ignition (key on, engine off) too long. Any ideas as to what it might be and if i could DIY the repair?

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
No idea. The smoking is probably the main issue, not the buzzing. If it's key related then it sounds ignition related. Not sure how to trouble shoot from there - I guess a voltmeter on the wires at the ignition are probably the starting point. Trace those wires for shorts/power supply.

The buzzing is probably just poor voltage somewhere due to a compromised circuit, a relay or the door/key chime not getting enough power to properly function. I'd ignore that for now, it'll go away when you fix the wiring/smoking issue.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts