Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Outback Legacy Wagon
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 Outback developed weird problem, won't start unless emergency flashers are on. Starts normally once they're activated.
Have cleaned terminals and battery posts, charged battery, checked all fuses and relays.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,816 Posts
hmmm...check for dim/burned out rear brake lights and parking/marker lights.

·
Registered
18,411 Posts
How long have you had the car? Was the car starting fine and this issue suddenly appeared?

When the hazards are NOT on, what happens when you try to start the engine? Does the starter motor run and turn the engine, but the engine doesn't start, or is there no action by the starter motor? Any unusual sounds, or sights (e.g., lights dimming)?

Was any work done on the car just prior to this problem?

Any added or removed accessories, e.g. remote starter, security/alarm system, different type of turn signal bulbs installed, turn signal flasher changed etc?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When hazards are off nothing happens at key turn; starter motor does not turn, lights do not dim.
Car was starting and running fine the previous evening.
I checked the transmission fluid but did not add any.
I've had the car for 6 years.

·
Registered
18,411 Posts
When the ignition switch is at On (hazards Off), are all the normal warning lights in the instrument panel on, and as bright as they were in the past?

At that same time, is there any sign of clicking coming from under the dash, perhaps like a turn signal click but faster and very much quieter?

If the car is in a dark area, is there any sign of the turn signal arrows in the instrument panel briefly lighting, or any of the outside turn signal lights barely glowing (very dim)?

Would you be able to pull the panel that the hazard switch is mounted into, disconnect the hazard switch at the back, and see if the engine will start?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All normal warning lights are on as far as I'm aware. Definitely not dimmer than usual.
Unsure where the hazard switch is. Next to fuse panel under dash? I've been trying to find location of that and starter relay without success. I can pull panel(s) and disconnect switches and/or relays, as needed.
No sounds from under dash, from switching unit.

I'm very familiar with the vehicle; have replaced starter, radiator, front axles, CV joints and disc brake rotors. Have never encountered a problem like this.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,816 Posts
does the car have any aftermarket gear like remote start ,or security system?

·
Registered
18,411 Posts
. . .
Unsure where the hazard switch is.
It's the switch on the dashboard with the triangle on it that's used to turn on the hazard lights (aka 4-way emergency flashers). (Unless, in the first post, you're referring to some other "hazard flashers".)

I don't think the starter relay is causing this problem.

Do you have the service manual (with wiring diagrams) for the car, and a multimeter to make some measurements (DC voltage, resistance)?

Does the car have a manual or automatic transmission?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a service manual with wiring diagrams and a multimeter.
The transmission is automatic.
No aftermarket installations.

As for the hazard switch, I thought you were referring to the hazard/turn signal switching unit itself, not the button on the dashboard. That should have been clear from the context of my reply (Next to fuse panel under dash? I've been trying to find location of that and starter relay without success.).

·
Registered
18,411 Posts
Ah, my misreading of that post.

The device that causes the flashing of the turn and hazard signal lights, when either are being used, is the Turn Signal and Hazard Module. It's mounted on the side of the steering column and shown as #10 in http://opposedforces.com/parts/lega...ctronic/electrical_parts_body/illustration_1/

If the module is removed, that would disconnect the hazard switch from its downstream turn signal system wiring. As there is something in the turn signal or hazard signals system that seems to be related to the engine starting, perhaps remove the module and see if that resolves the problem.

If it doesn't, then remove the connector from the back of the Hazard switch. With the switch isolated, it's position would be irrelevant. See if this allows starting.

The question that this tries to address is why the starter doesn't work when the hazard switch is off, but is fine when the hazard lights are turned on. There is a roundabout link between the starter circuit and the hazard switch and turn signals system. As you have the wiring diagrams, four sections are relevant: Power Supply Routing, Turn Signal Light and Hazard Light System, Security System, and Starter System. Briefly, if there's an unusual load placed on the power coming to the hazard switch from the ignition relay, it could also cause the security system to not activate the security interrupt relay in the starter system, and that would prevent starting. Granted, this is all somewhat stretching it . . .

·
Registered
2005 Outback Wagon 3.0 L.L. Bean
923 Posts
This is a good one

1 - 12 of 12 Posts