Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
05,OBXT Limited EAT5, Stage 1, Custom 3inch catback exhaust with duel Vibrant Black Mufflers .
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No issues as of yet other than 200xxx miles on her .
So looking at either a ej255 or ej257 short block, if I go with the ej257 short block what is needed for it ?

Thank you as always 馃

Registered
2006 OBXT 5-Speed, 1998 OB Auto
From what I understand, the ej255 and ej257 are the same engine, but with different turbo and intercooler setups. The bottom end and heads are the same.

Registered
05,OBXT Limited EAT5, Stage 1, Custom 3inch catback exhaust with duel Vibrant Black Mufflers .
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess what I'm trying to figure out is if I buy the short block the rest of my stuff and the top end should just button right on top but I'm not sure.

Registered
2006 OBXT 5-Speed, 1998 OB Auto
Is your car already a turbo (XT or GT) model? If so the I think so. Definitely wait for other replies but I think this will work great!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Xt . Sorry

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What are the benefits for going with the 257

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought the EJ257 had forged internals?

Registered
05 GT wagon, 09 Spec B, 18 3.6R Outback
They are the same engine only a slight difference in piston shape(?).
The ej257 I believe is still less money too.

Just get the engine gasket set for your year car.

My ej257 is still going great some 143,000 miles later.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They are the same engine only a slight difference in piston shape(?).
The ej257 I believe is still less money too.

Just get the engine gasket set for your year car.

My ej257 is still going great some 143,000 miles later.
HI Ed,

Your 05 OBXT actually came with the EJ257! Same block and heads as the 04-06 STI. The only reason they called it a 255 is because they wanted to claim a difference between the STI and other models.

The part number for your motor is 10103AC870.

Subaru OEM Shortblock (04-08 STI EJ257)
Subaru OEM Shortblock (04-08 STI EJ257) - Flatirons Tuning
WARNING: Operating, servicing and maintaining a passenger vehicle or off-road vehicle can expose you to chemicals including engine exhaust, carbon monoxide, phthalates, and lead, which are known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. To minimize exposure, avoid breathing exhaust, do not idle the engine except as necessary, service your vehicle ...
www.flatironstuning.com

Registered
2012 STI, 2007 Impreza RS
I was told by a Subaru Dealer Tech (friend of mine), that Subaru now only has one shortblock for all EJ25 turbo engines. They discontinued all other shortblocks and just make a EJ257.

But I wonder if this is only 2008+ STI and 2006+ EJ255. I'll have to ask him and clarify.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts