Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,

This morning my wife went out to her '05 LL Bean only to find it wouldn't start. Well, it'll start and 'run' for a split second then die as if you just shut the key off...no stumbling or anything of the sort. Curious if anyone here has had something similar and if it was a fuel pump or MAF maybe?

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Gents,

This morning my wife went out to her '05 LL Bean only to find it wouldn't start. Well, it'll start and 'run' for a split second then die as if you just shut the key off...no stumbling or anything of the sort. Curious if anyone here has had something similar and if it was a fuel pump or MAF maybe?

Thanks in advance!!
H6? Some folks have started to see fuel pump issues caused by a gasket that fails in the fuel tank preventing proper fuel pressure. That would be my first suspected caus. Search on fuel pump gasket you should find the thread.

·
Registered
16,970 Posts
H6? Some folks have started to see fuel pump issues caused by a gasket that fails in the fuel tank preventing proper fuel pressure. That would be my first suspected caus. Search on fuel pump gasket you should find the thread.

he might have the first 05 with the issue if that's it. Could, of course, be a unique fuel pump/supply issue. Seems weird there's enough pressure to start though. Maybe a blocked filter/fuel supply?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
If it starts normally but dies when you release the key from the start position, I would suspect the ignition switch itself. Or, do these things use a different circuit (And fuse) for the run position as opposed to the cranking position? Then, it could be a fuse or a load shedding relay.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Check the air intake system, air flow sensor and vacuum lines. This is exactly what happened when my aftermarket / OEM hybrid intake used to fall off. It was still in backyard R&D at that point.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Lots of good advice. I'll throw another variable into the mix and say that it could be the Throttle Position Sensor. Is a code popping up?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
7 Participants
mike552
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing