Subaru Outback Forums banner

81 - 100 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Before you decide to opt for SXM traffic, check the coverage areas. I live in the Baltimore-DC I-95 corridor and it works quite nicely. My son currently lives down I-81 in Christiansburg, VA, It proves to be worthless down in that area. More than once have been caught up in an I-81 traffic jam that SXM did not report.
I’m not really interested. I use Apple Maps almost exclusively but occasionally launch the onboard system just to see how it works. I’m in the Baltimore area also and it’s pretty good as you noted. But it’s not what I rely on.

·
Registered
2020 touring XT
167 Posts
I'm betting the Subaru CEO does not drive an OB. Also doubt he much cares what folks think of the radio. His job as CEO is to make money for Subaru's investors.

As long as folks keep buying Subaru's vehicles and are willing to pay 40k for a 30k vehicle, the CEO is a happy camper.

Buyers have been 8itching about the radio for the last couple of years yet keep trading up expecting different results.
People are strange..............
CEO of Subaru Japan drives Legacy.

·
Registered
2020 XT Limited
55 Posts
I had the update done at the dealer last month. It seemed to be fine for a week or so. About two weeks ago, the system locked up and rebooted itself. That happened randomly, twice in last few weeks. This weekend I plugged in my phone to listen to a podcast, and I got the notice "Apple Car Play unavailable, Cannot Establish communications with the apple device". Usually, in troubleshooting the cable gets blamed. I dug out a brand new Apple cable and got the same. Eventually, both cleared up. Today, I was listening to Sirus, the music stopped and then rebooted again.
This time on reboot, the radio function would not come back on, same message when plugging in my iPhone.

The other buttons in the system respond and work fine while this happens. This time, while pressing and holding the power button, on restart the radio came back to life.

Some random stuff for sure. I have an appt tomorrow to see what they can do now....

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT in Autumn Green Metallic
669 Posts
So, besides the audio settings I have these two issues. Both may completely be Android Auto and/or phone.

1. Getting into car on phone call and starting up / plugging into car for AA doesn't initialize right, can't hear the other person over speakers or call locks up on my end/disconnect.

2. Part of the time shutting off car when had been listening to radio with phone AA connected, phone starts my music software when engine shuts off. Ummm....I was listening to radio, not you......

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT in Autumn Green Metallic
669 Posts
Think I figured out the music starting on phone after trip. There's a setting in AA that says to continue media play. I think it gets confused with the radio and sometimes turns on my phone music player end of trip. Should be fixed now with my turning that off.

3 new bugs. I was messing with turning AVH on at a stop while making a phone call and somehow my music volume stopped responding. You could see the numbers change visually but not the volume level. Rebooting the head unit fixed it.

But then the phone wouldn't connect to Bluetooth. Subaru was no longer listed under Bluetooth on the phone. If you tried to connect via the car, the phone asked for permission (saw it) but failed. Had to delete the phone and add it again to fix. Neither head unit or phone reboots would clear.

3rd, after all this in same trip, AVH would not turn on. Sliding it to on it would just flip back to off. Tried it many times during trip. No illumination on display either of course. After sitting for over 30 minutes at my stop, turned on fine for the journey home.

Suffice it to say I can no longer claim 'no issues'. :D

·
Registered
228 Posts
@RocketMan20 - Sent you a PM. There is a class action suit focusing on 2017 - 2018 Gen3 units in specific Subaru vehicles but has been delayed due to COVID. The official class action details can be found here; Home | Udeen v. Subaru of America, Inc and additional information of the complaint can be found here; Subaru Starlink Class Action Lawsuit Preliminarily Approved.

I have reached out to both of the NJ firms in the class action suit to start a new one specific to the 2020 Outback infotainment issues. Nothing short of buying back this PoS will be acceptable.

cc: @thesheesh

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
85 Posts
CONDITION #3: Artwork appearance on the Center Information Display disappears.

YET THE IMAGES PROVIDED IN THE DOCUMENT CLEARLY SHOW THAT THE <insert deragatory term(s) here> ARTWORK IS STILL VISABLE ON THE PRESETS FOR SXM CHANNELS!!!!!
So a bit of crow eating here. I opened my mouth (technically just my fingers typing but...) and didn’t fully understand what I was talking about. I thought they were talking about about the logo art of the SXM channel and not actual album art for the songs that were playing on a station. I don’t typically sit in my car and listen to tunes so I didn’t even realize that the system actually shows the album art until I was in the process of my speaker swap and testing things out. Regardless, I stand by my statement that the Nannies’ decision was stupid. There’s no reason to hide that, it’s no more distracting than the low fuel messages they throw up or the fact that you can sit there all darn day punching through menus.

·
Registered
2020 XT Limited
55 Posts
Update in my freezing/rebooting after the update.... dealer called and Sub wants to replace the entire radio unit..... I assured them this is software related and I don’t see how that will help, but that is their solution and have placed an order for a replacement. Weird..

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Update in my freezing/rebooting after the update.... dealer called and Sub wants to replace the entire radio unit..... I assured them this is software related and I don’t see how that will help, but that is their solution and have placed an order for a replacement. Weird..
TAKE IT! There is no evidence that this is stricktly software related.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited 2.5 Hi-Yo, Ice Silver! Away!
209 Posts
The possibility is Subaru may want the Radio Unit just like if they had a bad CVT transmission.
Maybe they want to analyse it with the bug and determine why it is glitching and how to offer a solution.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
TAKE IT! There is no evidence that this is stricktly software related.
There is no evidence either way.

If a head unit is not working properly, they may decide to swap out the head unit. Unless they get special permission, the replacement unit is likely listed as a remanufactured unit. There is no special request needed to get a new one if the car is listed as new and “in stock” (like a car on the lot with a bad head unit). Those get brand new replacements.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
There is no evidence either way.

If a head unit is not working properly, they may decide to swap out the head unit. Unless they get special permission, the replacement unit is likely listed as a remanufactured unit. There is no special request needed to get a new one if the car is listed as new and “in stock” (like a car on the lot with a bad head unit). Those get brand new replacements.
This early in the cycle how many re-manufactured would be out there though?

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #96 (Edited)
I pitty the poor slob that that gets my remanufactured unit ( assuming I get them to swap it out). You can put A1 sauce on a cow pattie but it's still not going to taste like steak.
Interestingly enough, I just got another Customer Satisfaction survey from SoA today. Third one in 6 mos. Very much worded like the last one . Seemed to recognize ( in detail) that there are issues with Infotainment system along with lack of physical buttons for S/S and heat control access.

·
Registered
228 Posts
@RocketMan20 - I am envious of you for getting all of these surveys. Since Feb 20th, i have only received one from JD Power and was very honest in the responses of how bad this infotainment is along with other aspects. During that same time period, have already received three surveys (each was from a different company) for the XC40 and nothing but glowing reviews there.

On a related note, had the opportunity to sit in a new Defender 110 today. Didn't get to drive it, but did get to pair my phone and test the infotainment along with make calls. It was smooth, responsive, and intuitive. Ironically, it is also based on QNX so going to call BS on SoA for all of these issues with the 2020 Infotainment. I was blown away by the seats, specifically the material that was used. Extremely durable and dog friendly. Once I get to drive it will determine if the new Defender (P400 with a 48v assist) is the way or go back to an F-Pace (supercharged six) or potentially a F-Type R (supercharged 8).

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
487 Posts
I think I’d rather have 2,3,4 or however many Subarus I could buy for the price of one Land Rover or Jaguar. Better yet, just one Subaru and save or donate the savings to a worthy cause. Our Outback isn’t perfect, but it’s awful close and seemingly getting better with time. 11,000 miles so far.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I think I’d rather have 2,3,4 or however many Subarus I could buy for the price of one Land Rover or Jaguar. Better yet, just one Subaru and save or donate the savings to a worthy cause. Our Outback isn’t perfect, but it’s awful close and seemingly getting better with time. 11,000 miles so far.
I rather drive a Defender over my Outback as it will release the insane frustration this vehicle has caused me including but not limited to the absurd infotainment and other issues.

PS - The starting price of the new Defender 110 is 50k which is only $9000 more than an Touring XT. Spread out over 3 or 5 years, there is minimal difference between the payment. It could be even argued that the new Defenders will increase in value similar to the originals and FJ Cruisers.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
2,012 Posts
I pitty the poor slob that that gets my remanufactured unit ( assuming I get them to swap it out). You can put A1 sauce on a cow pattie but it's still not going to taste like steak.
Interestingly enough, I just got another Customer Satisfactions survey from SoA today. Third one in 6 mos. Very much worded like the last one . Seemed to recognize ( in detail) that there are issues with Infotainment system ( along with lack of physical buttons for S/S and heat control access).
Yup I got that survey as well I filled up about three pages worth of feedback. This is my third survey as well.

May be SoA looks at this forum's post count to determine who to send surveys to. :oops:

81 - 100 of 128 Posts