Subaru Outback Forums banner

Steep Hill Vs Eye Sight (Pre-Collison detection)

5K views 27 replies 10 participants last post by  Carl Abrams 
#1 ·
Today I was playing in snow with my OB.
I realized pretty quickly that you need to turn OFF the RAB (reverse automatic braking)(tks brucey for the tip) if you want to (plow) park backward in a snow bank.

But the problem I encounter was going up a steep snow hill forward.
Eye sight with pre collision was continously flashing and cutting down the power. Leaving me unable to climb the snow bank.

Anyone experiencing this type of issue with Steep hill and eyesight.

I know OB dont have the best angle of attack, but on the other hand I did not buy it to be a jeep rock crawler either.

But I never had problem going up steep hill with my old 2012 OB (no eyesight)

Tks ?

#8 ·
But the problem I encounter was going up a steep snow hill forward.
Eye sight with pre collision was continously flashing and cutting down the power. Leaving me unable to climb the snow bank.
My life experience says that it's the traction control that is killing the power, not EyeSight. My car won't move in deep snow without hitting the button. That's not unique to Subaru. You see tons of crossovers "stuck" in ski area parking lots every big storm because the owners have no idea that when the wheels slip, traction control kills the throttle.

#11 ·
I could be wrong.
But with the Onyx (Outdoor XT in canada)
There is no need to turn off vehicle dynamics.
You have 2 type of X-mode.
And based on my own experiment in trying to get stuck in snow with my OB Onyx,
Never had to play with vehicle dynamics to get out of bad spot. One of the 2 X-mode always does the job to get me out of my snow pit.

#14 ·
It’s not because of the snow. It’s the slope. On my 2019 OBT the AEB will engage going up my steep driveway if I don’t go slowly. It seems to “see” the house across the street and brake the vehicle on the middle of the hill. Just a dandy little electronic wonder, it is.

Note in the ES manual (I looked it up in aggravation) the many situations where the system doesn’t work well. I consider the frequent false alarms to be a real PITA rather than safer driving.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.