Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Outback Limited
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to deal with 3 seperate issues which I think are stemming from the steering wheel column.
At least I think so....
Anyway.
The problems are thus.

1. Left and Right indicators are intermittently working and not working. Example. I will indicate left, and it works. The left indicator will flash in the dashboard. I do it again, and it doesn't, and I just hear a fast clicking, and the indicators don't work. Same for right indicators. sometime work, sometimes don't.
2. Cruise control works sometimes and doesn't sometimes. It's totally random. I know the cruise works, as when I finally get it to stick, it purrs along nicely. It's just very sticky to connect. Which leads me finally to issue.....
3. Cruise control light never lights in dashboard when on.

I'm thinking this all comes from dodgy connectors in the steering column, but I cannot be certain. I've looked into getting one from a part out, and maybe trying to install it myself..There is one for sale locally for 50 bucks. And someone else quoted 200 for a part out and install.

to top it all I've just had the check engine light come one. I'm waiting for my code reader from amazon to arrive to check that one out....

ugh

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,322 Posts
The turn signals are controlled through the multifunction switch. There is a clock spring under the steering wheel that allows for conductance while the steering wheel turns. Seperate parts. If the problems showed up together, there may be a loose ground either in the column harness, plug or a ground lug. Could also be a loose connection at the fuse box under the dash.

·
Registered
18,181 Posts
The turn signal symptom is not uncommon. Bad contacts in the turn signal switch often lead to intermittent operation. Also, bad bulbs or contacts in the bulb sockets.

There's a number of similar threads. Here's a recent one: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...em.html?highlight=turn+signal+switch+contacts

And this one has photos of the switch: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...er-relay-keeps-clicking.html?referrerid=15680

Cruise control setting might well be the clockspring connector, as cardoc mentioned. But you want to get that light bulb fixed first so you can tell what's happening. (On some Subarus, all the warning lights come on when the key is turned to ON but the engine isn't started. This is a way to check to see if any don't work. Does your cruise light come on at this time?) See: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...cluster.html?highlight=instrument+panel+bulbs

·
Registered
02 Outback 2.5 5sp
543 Posts
Do all outbacks this gen have a light for cruise? My car has never displayed this, and the cruise generally works. Although I agree with the "sticky" operation of the lever.

I do have a light on the switch below the cluster, but it does not illuminate on key up.

·
Registered
2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
7,355 Posts
Non critcal lights do not do a self test, and yes you have one. The bulb may be out.

·
Registered
2002 Outback Sedan H6 3.0 VDC
151 Posts
Do all outbacks this gen have a light for cruise? My car has never displayed this, and the cruise generally works. Although I agree with the "sticky" operation of the lever.

I do have a light on the switch below the cluster, but it does not illuminate on key up.

The 2nd gen Outback has a light on the cruise switch that illuminates when it's on but there is no light in the cluster that illuminates when cruise is active.

-Tim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts