1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
very cool site here.
very similar to my other car site... www.xc70.com
my outback has a strange rattle in the steering column when going slow and hitting small bumps, or large bumps. it doesnt always happen. it feels like there is "play" in the column. I had the mechanic drive it and he couldnt duplicate it.
the kind of rattle is similar to the feel of a loose headset on a bicycle. I asked the mechanic to check the bushings or whatever, they didnt find anything.
it has been like this almost since day-one of owning the car.
any suggestions would be appreciated.
thanks
chuckyg

·
Registered
352 Posts
Welcome to the site! I often lurk over at xc70.com (I really like the cross country). It is a pretty nice site. Not as nice as this site though :D.

As for your rattle, I have a few but they don't seem to be coming from the steering column (sunglass bin, airbag compartment). There are alot of great people on this board and someone is bound to offer some help.

How does your Outback compare to the Volvo?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Injek,
sub vs. volvo is always a topic. since i own both I have a true insiders view.;)
whatever they say, these cars are not even close to apples to apples.
the volvo is a cadillac compared to the subaru. the v is bigger, more comfortable and is a total different feel.
I love the suby. have had it for 2 years. I did have the clutch shudder which the dealer replaced at no cost. other than that the car has been bomber.
the volvo i have only had for 2 months. I am looking forward to my usual 7 hour ride to ski this winter. I am positive it will be a better ride than the suby.
to be totally honest I now want a volvo for myself. (wife currently gets to drive it). Next year I think I will sell the suby and buy a xc.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the steering column rattle problem too. I drive Outback '00 which I bought used, but from a dealer and still under powertrain warranty. I reported the problem to the dealer (rattling sound in the front on bumps), but they told me there supposed to be some rattling sound on bumps. :8:??? This never happens on other cars I drive sometimes!

So does anybody have any thoughts about this?

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I had this problem on my '99 Dakota and here's what happened.

The steering shaft is built of a number of parts, as I'm sure you're aware. One or more of the segments is actually 2 shafts, one inside the other, and telescopes (called the "intermediate steering shaft" on Dakotas). This was the portion between the u-joint just behind the steering wheel and the one above the steering box (recirculating ball steering on '99 Daks). This telescoping section would wear, and after a while get sloppy. On bumps, it'd rattle, and I'd feel and hear a clunk in the steering column.

Dealer replaced the intermediate steering shaft and everything was cool. Other people who've had the problem just removed it, lubed it, reinstalled, and all was well again.

Disclaimer: I have no clue how similar the steering columns are between Dakotas and Subies, so please go out to the driveway, pop your hood, and compare my little story to your reality.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
dakboy
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing