Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Subaru Outback, 2.5L, 185,000mi
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am new to the forums. :) I just bought my first Subaru a couple of weeks ago. It's a 1998 Outback wagon 2.5L with 175,000 miles.

Ok, so something happened with my steering on my way home from work today. I was going through a 35mph left hand curve in the road, when my steering wheel refused to move to the left any more than a couple of inches. I managed to slow the car enough to make the curve without driving off the right hand side of the road. I made it fine through the next curve (which was to the right) without the steering binding up on me. I then had to stop in a construction zone. While completely stopped, I tried moving the wheel to the left. It bound up on me. I forced it, and it "broke loose". After that, the steering went limp as a noodle. To make a 90 degree turn on to a side street, I had to make one full revolution of the steering wheel. In other words there is now a LOT of play in the wheel. It is very dangerous to drive.

I managed to white-knuckle it home, and by the time I got there, there was a moaning noise from under the hood.

Do you kind folks have any idea what the problem might be? Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. It would be nice to somewhat anticipate the kind of damage is going to be done to my pocketbook over this.

This car was a one owner vehicle that was very well maintained. Brakes are good, struts are good, tires are brand new (2 weeks old).

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2000 Outback Limited, Dual Range 5 Speed
906 Posts
Not sure exactly what it may be but one thing it could be, is the knuckle at the end of the column, probably not an expensive fix.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts