Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I have a 2004 Outback VDC sedan and am having a strange, subtle steering problem.

Primarily at highway speeds, the steering often feels too light and wandering, requiring frequent correction. The sensation is very similar to that of driving in strong winds. The alignment doesn't seem terribly off, however, as I can generally take my hand off the wheel for a moment at highway speeds and stay relatively straight.

This problem is not obvious enough (or easy enough to describe) to be likely to get much attention at the dealer, but it makes driving on long trips very tiring and makes the car feel a lot less stable and secure.

Has anyone experienced or heard of any similar issues? Any advice?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Could be a number of things but sounds to me like speed sensitive power steering that should reduce the assistance at highway speeds is not doing that. Tire inflation pressure is another possibility, inflate too high and the edges start to lose contact giving the steering a very vague floaty feel. Perhaps try a different tire pressure guage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Thanks! That's the first time I've heard that possibility and it definitely sounds like it would explain the problem. Do you know if that's a difficult thing to have checked/adjusted?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I think if it's a power steering issue you'd have to get the dealer to check it, however I'd definitely check the tire pressures first as I once had a faulty tire guage and took my near new Mazda back to the dealer complaining it handled like crap and all that was wrong was a lack of air in the tires... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6 Posts
same problem

I have the same problem with my new 2012 OB. I have yet to mention it to the dealer but will soon. Tomorrow I will check tire pressures and maybe get an alignment.

In the old days a car that drifted around had toe-out when it needed a bit of toe-in. Some repair gurus have told me that today's alignment is to set the wheels for straight ahead with no toe. I believe in using about a 1/16 inch toe-in and that has worked on my other cars.

BC

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good luck to you. I wish I could tell you how I solved my problem, but 7 years later, I'd forgotten I'd even had this problem until I got an email notice that someone posted to this thread. The steering issue just seemed to eventually go away entirely. The car's been handling very well for a long time now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts