Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I need help. I have a 2001 Outback. My son and I replaced the struts up front this past weekend. This somehow messed up the the axle shaft on the right (passenger) side. Replaced the axle shaft and then broke off a bolt in the steering knuckle. Drilled the bolt and tried to extract it, broke the extractor off in the hole. No way that can be drilled.

I cannot seem to find a steering knuckle for the front right for an Outback but I can find a Forester knuckle all day. Are they the same in 2001?

Thank you.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,140 Posts
I just like your title. I'm a knucklehead and hope to do stand-up comedy, so, go figure.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,559 Posts
According to Subaru, yes. They should be the same. Impreza 02-07, Foz 00-08, Legacy/OB 00-04, Baja 03-06.

Be warned though, the bearings are press-in and your donor spindle may need new bearings.

I'd see about drilling-out the other side of the ball joint pinch bolt (the one I assume you broke). Just overbore slightly and use a through-nut and bolt. The "pinch" is not holds the BJ in the socket, but the shoulder of the bolt itself. The pinch just keeps it from jumping around.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts