Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 148K LL Bean outback. Whenever I turn to the left I get a kind of rubbing/whirring noise which can be felt slightly through the wheel until I turn back to center. It gets slightly louder when your turning harder but not by much. It also seems to be dependent on vehicle speed and not engine speed/load. I used to think it was just tire rub because there was some after I knocked the wheel well liners out of their sockets when it got bumped on a curb. Now that I fixed the liners, rotated the tires, had the PS system checked, and it is no longer rubbing I am at a loss and it is rather hard to see in the whole wheel area, very tightly packed and arcane to me.

It does not happen when I turn right and it seems to take until I have been driving around for a bit. This is compounded by the steering wheel squeeking a almost rubber on rubber sound when turned at all past about 1/4 turn, unsure whether related or not. I have also been smelling a burning almost brake like smell but it smells a little bit too plastic like, yet again may be unrelated but I have a feeling this is brake or steering column related somehow, I know I am up for new rear pads soon fronts are ok for now it seems. Thanks for the incite.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,644 Posts
kinda seems like 2 problems but, some guesses

right side wheel bearing, probably front but, you didn't say if the sound is in the front

check for a binding brake caliper

consider borrowing/using a remote infrared thermometer and, after a long drive, measue wheel hub and rotor temps at each corner. Any corner more that about 20*F higher than it's mate from the other side is suspect for brake or bearing issues.

have the PS re-checked, particularly for air in the reservoir while idling. You can check yourself - should no bubbles or foam.

CV grease smells bad so, perhaps inspect for a split CV boot.

if you post your city, someone may be able to suggest a shop you can take it to.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Front yes as it is steering, should have specified. I am in Holliston MA, I know of a place called speen street automotive in framingham who specializes in subies but I got the service inspection at my typical mechanic right down the street very honest and nice guy but he is a toyota master tech not subie.

Is a binding caliper a fixable thing or is that a new caliper? Also what is the cost on doing a CV/ball joint if it is damaged? I know you need a lift and I am not comfortable with axle stands just due to how shitty my driveway is as well as I don't have a press for doing a wheel bearing. Hehe every time I have a job I could do it always seems like such a massive chunk of time it feels easier just to give it to a grease monkey.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
16,259 Posts
It sounds like a binding caliper or a "pig tailed" brake hose that is not releasing the brake fluid pressure on one of the wheels. I would bet on a "pig tailed" hose since it worsens with a turn when the hose is flexed which would increase pressure on the caliper. You would have to remove the wheel to see if there is a sharp twist in the brake hose. You will know which wheel by the temperature after a drive or blue color of the effected rotor.

The bearing won't smell like brakes burning.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got my infrared thermometer and right side is hotter by about 25F on both hub, disk, and caliper. I cannot really get in there to get a good look at the CV or the lines even with the wheel at full lock either way and everything here is still covered in snow and sand so I am not to keen to lay down underneath. The smell I described was brake like but it had a burning plastic tinge to it, to sharp to be straight brakes to me but then again I have never actually thrashed any brakes before.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
kinda seems like 2 problems but, some guesses

CV grease smells bad so, perhaps inspect for a split CV boot.

if you post your city, someone may be able to suggest a shop you can take it to.
Ding Ding Ding, it was the CV joint got a new axle all set!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts