Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Limited. Mod. Added remote start and 19mm RSB
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

One quick question.

Is this normal?

When i make a U-turn from a full stop. I usually turn the steering wheel all the way before starting to move. With my 2013 OB Limited, the steering wheel is not coming back by itself. Is it normal for an all wheel drive.

Please share your knowledge regarding this issue. I usually just release the wheel in that situation and in my 2013 case, it's not working.

It will want to keep going in circles. But when in small curves like a roundabout, it will.

thanks.

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Sienna, miss my eyesight. Life moves on.
982 Posts
The car doesn't self center as good as some other cars in any situation. However I believe if you go full lock it will stick, go a little less and it won't. I don't do many u-turns so I'm not fully experienced with turning the wheel all the way and holding it.

·
Registered
2014 BMW 328xi Sport Wagon, 1984 Avanti 5.0 HO V8
92 Posts
Hi guys,

I usually turn the steering wheel all the way before starting to move.
That is never a good thing to do. I cringe whenever I see someone do that in a parking lot. Puts tremendous strain on the steering components. You should always start the wheels rolling before cranking the wheel if at all possible.

·
Registered
2014 2.5 Outback Premium CVT 72,000 mi (previous: 2012 OB 2.5 base 6-MT, totaled at 73,532mi)
534 Posts
Welcome to the club, totally normal for these OB's. And yeah, limit your turns at full lock on the steering on dry pavement, the AWD gets stressed a bit. Once in a while wont hurt it, but dont make a habit of it (like everytime you leave your driveway).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all your replies guys. I didn't turned it to the extent it will lock, just all the way. From now on, as per your advice, i will not do that again.

I also called the service department of my dealer... the guy said it's normal for all time AWD.

Again, thanks.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback Limited 2.5i Dark Blue Pearl/Ivory w'Eyesight
703 Posts
Hadn't noted it before, checked it out on 2 OBWs today, a company 2011 2.5 CVT and my 3.6 5EAT. Full u-turn, no centering. anything short of full u-turn, centers.
Among many things, but one thing my dad impressed on me was never to turn the wheels when stopped. Always turn when moving. He said, it gets ready to make the next move smoothly. He was right.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks subyblue and to your dad. I yet to try it but knowing it works for you and your dad, it should on all of us.

thanks again.

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback Limited 2.5i Dark Blue Pearl/Ivory w'Eyesight
703 Posts
Thanks subyblue and to your dad. I yet to try it but knowing it works for you and your dad, it should on all of us.

thanks again.
I should note that this was before Power Steering was common, and it was more difficult to turn a standing vehicle, but it still works.
My Dad taught me many things about driving, although I scared him once when I was learning to drive, and he never really got over it, right up to the end.
It does seem odd to be turning your wheels opposite of the direction you came from, but it works. Especially when making a 3 point (K) turn or backing out of a parking space, just turn the wheels in the direction you want to go at the last minute. Then you are ready to move out. Although, not out in the traffic lanes at a stop sign, too much danger of rear-ending drivers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts