Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
02 L.L Bean
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay first let me say I searched this and I was really hoping that the rubber
o-ring would fix the issue because it was super easy and cheap. But it did not fix the problem.

I first noticed the noise when it started to get cold a few months back, and it steadily got worse and worse. It used to go away after the car warmed up but now the pump wines all the time especially when you turn the wheel. I was thinking that it could be the copper crush washers on the pressure line going into the pump, so I removed the one piece crush washer unit and tried to find some copper washers the same size at the local parts store but I was unable to find the correct size so I re installed the crush washer piece.

I know those crush washer are a one use type deal but I had to drive the car. I guess what I am asking is do yall think that running the pump so long with a leak has permanently damaged it? Also the hose on the lower part of the resavor is really hard. Not sure if that could be causing air to leak into the pump as well.

What should I do here guys? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,371 Posts
change the fluid? is it 14 year old 200,000 mile fluid?

someone else will chime in, but it's usually a breech in a line/fitting/oring somewhere.

subaru power steering pumps don't fail that often and they're unbelievably easy to replace, so generally the best replacement option is a used Subaru unit.
Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

i highly doubt the crush washer is an issue. i never replace crush washers and i've never had one leak. i've done oil changes for 100,000+ miles on the same crush washer with no issues...no big deal. i would never think to replace them on brakes, power steering and the like - no issues, ever.

i'm not saying it *couldn't be* the crush washer, but highly unlikely and it should cause you no worries that you had to reuse it.

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
Try looking for a fluid leak somewhere. Where the air is getting in, fluid is likely escaping. Are you seeing bubbles in the reservoir?

You say you replaced the o-ring. Did you use OEM? Are you sure it was the right size? ID and OD are important, since that determines the thickness.

Tom

·
Registered
02 L.L Bean
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used a oem o ring with a part number I got from a thread on this site. So it should be correct. I havent noticed any fluid on the ground. I may have to lift it up this weekend to check it out.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,131 Posts
Are you seeing bubbles in the reservoir?

^^^this, if there are no bubbles/foam in the reservoir - you have a different problem. Could be tensioner/idler bearings, could be a bad pump.

2 10mm bolts up front come out to lift the cold air intake away and the tank is right there.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,371 Posts
Is it bad to have 223k miles on the orig PS fluid?
190k and 212k and i've never changed mine, nor will I. i've never had an issue and have never changed p/s fluid.

i asked since he's having issues. if he changed it - then we know THAT'S the problem:29:

·
Registered
2000 outback lt
1 Posts
Have a2004 LL Bean H6 same pump wine but still goes away when warmed up. Where to get used pump or does somebody rebuild them? Thanks

·
Registered
02 L.L Bean
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay I checked to see if there was air bubbles in the reservoir and there are lots of bubbles bubbling up. Done see any leaking fluid any where.

What do yall think??

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
about 4 related areas to investigate;

The o-ring

The ends of the suction hose (I replaced stock clamps with screw-type)

the suction hose itself

the lower part of the reservoir could be cracked.

(I suppose there is a remote possibility the 'elbow'/hose adapter on top of the pump, or the pump's casting itself could be bad.)

basically, try everything that's under $10 first. If no improvement, time to closely examine the tank itself - maybe get a replacement (dealer or junkyard) or try some repair.

The last thing to try is a pump.

·
Registered
02 L.L Bean
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Already did the o-ring so I will start by replacing the clamps. See what happens. Ill let you know.

Thanks

·
Registered
02 L.L Bean
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
replaced all the clamps with screw type clamps. Still has the noise and bubbles. Next would be the suction hose.

Where can you get them at??? I read that someone just used bulk hose at orielys???

Anyone?

·
Registered
02 L.L Bean
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well this morning I replaced the suction hose and no there are really no air bubbles when I look in the reservoir. But when I turn the wheel from lock to lock the pump is screaming!! Im thinking the pump is fried, what do yall think?

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
it screams to whole time, or just at the lock position? Some people have replaced the pressure relief valve.

It may be time for a pump. They are not common failure items (other than the o-ring/air sucking issue) so, you might shop for a used pump.

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
5 Posts
try Lubegard power steering fluid protect, my old Honda accord PS use to makes noise all the time I put some lubegard and it helps reduce the noise to an acceptable level. Is not really a complete fix but I don't feel like spending money replace a PS pump on an old car.

·
Registered
02 L.L Bean
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well here is an update. I ended up going with a new (reman) power steering pump because the noise would never go away and it was getting harder and harder to turn. So while I was waiting on the new pup to get in I noticed it started leaking fluid badly, so I jacked it up and took a look.

I found that on the fluid is leaking from the drivers side steering rack bellow. UGH Well the pump got in today so I went a head and put it on because there was no saving the old one. So now the car is quiet and turns awesome but there is a steady drip of PS fluid coming from the steering rack.

Not sure what to do now?? But i am pretty sure I need a new rack. Any input??

1 - 20 of 49 Posts