Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I've just checked the steering rack on my 2012 Outback and it's loose on the driver side, about 3-4 mm, enough to make a nasty clunk every time i hit a pothole. The steering rack moves up/down when turning the wheel, not sideways.
The two bolts that hold it there are super tight and unfortunately it's very cramped in there. I'm pretty sure the mount bushings are shot, but it looks like it's a real challenge to replace them. Plus, I couldn't find any online. Anybody knows who sells them? well, i haven't called the dealer yet, but i'll do tomorrow.
Is it possible to replace the bushings without pulling the entire steering rack out? I kept staring underneath for a few good minutes and i'm not sure how i could pull that out of there.
Anybody worked on the steering rack on this forth generation OB(2009-2014). Will I have to remove major parts?

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,624 Posts
any chance you could post a picture of the part you're looking at?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i guess I've rushed to conclusion :frown2: Checked out pictures of steering rack for this model, and it seems the bushings are pressed in. So not easily replaceable at all.
but judging by the vertical play, should not be the bushings. It's got a weird mount and I'm not sure yet where the play comes from. The bolts seem super tight. I'll lift it up again tomorrow and find out exactly what's lose

·
Registered
17,624 Posts
I'm just wondering if you might have a problem with the anti-roll bar. The endlinks can make noise, or be broken allowing noise elsewhere to occur, etc.

inner tie rods can wear, this might also cause tires to wear on the inside edge - any odd tire wear?

anyway, just want to be sure what we're looking at. Others here have much more experience than I do so, perhaps they will chime in?

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,120 Posts
I have watched my Gen3 rack move around. It is the pressed in rubber bushings on the driverside. They do wear out. WhiteLine and AVO make a poly kit for the Gen3, WRX, STI. I suspect it will fit the electric assist steering rack. I am not sure there are replacement rubber bushings. I have gotten reman racks and it appears they leave whatever bushing is there when they rebuld. I have found beads in the seam from bead blasting the reman housing. Stippling on the rubber.

I just checked the Mike Shaw site, no rubber bushing part numbers.

·
Registered
17,624 Posts
Trail - would there be an opportunity here for the 3M windoweld product if the bushings are really bad and difficult to access?

anyway, I'm really just lurking now

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,120 Posts
I don't think so. Window weld is not stout enough to do much. There are no voids to be filling, just degraded rubber.

Pulling the rack sounds worse than it is. It's really the only way to have enough room to work. The bushings, the OEM will push out with a c-clamp and a socket easy enough. Verifying the diameter for the casting holes in the rack. I can't imagine they are any different than an electric assist WRX. Or even the fluid pump units like I have.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts