Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Legacy Outback 2.2, 5sp
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My steering rack is leaking and both boots are torn.
Any aftermarket recommendations?
What about the steering pump, too? I bought a gasket kit for $25 but, I see new pumps for ~$60.
Thoughts on sorting out my leaky steering?

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,187 Posts
Had the same problem with my '96 as well a few years ago. Had another mechanic friend ( specializes in Ferraris, Lamborginis, etc) do the replacement - a rack from Rockauto. That rack failed pretty quickly and had to be replaced (still under warranty, thankfully). The second rack developed a problem that when cold, it doesn't work for the first couple of turns ( LOTS of muscle to turn!), then suddenly will work fine.

Moral: you are taking your chances with these rebuilt aftermarket racks. If I were you, I'd see if you can get one from a junkyard and rebuild it to put in your car.

Everyone here says that the pumps rarely fail, except for those that have sucked air at some point. If yours hasn't it is porbably not necessary to worry about it.

Of sourse, someone better versed on these cars may have other opinions! :)

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
Get the newest, lowest mileage used OEM rack and install new tie rod boots. Keep them covered and they very rarely leak or fail. They're inexpensive and not hard to replace.

With broken boots the rack was picking up dirt and rubbing it right past the seals which caused the leaking. Keep the boots replaced.

They rarely fail, i've never sold a steering rack on a car i'm parting out, because they fail so rarely there's very little demand and that also means they shouldnt' be expensive if you find one.

Yours is getting old and that's no good on seals but you should be able to find something i would think.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts