Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
98 outback limited
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 06 obw auto trans has started to jerk very hard to the right. It happens during deceleration, occasionally in first gear and regularly in second. The wheel does return easily to center but often jerks back to the right. I replaced struts, ball joints, tie rod in the spring so I'm ruling those out. Right rear control arm bushing is original and is in "ok" condition. Power steering pump has been whining for 10k miles. Both cv shafts were replaced but have at least 50k on them. There is no brake grinding, calipers are not loose so i don't believe it is a brake issue. I let an old mechanic drive it this morning, he said it seems like a trans issue but he is not a Subaru guy. Anyone have any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,781 Posts
first, whining PS is often fixed with an o-ring. look for bubbles/foam in the PS fluid reservoir. Search for that issue, well known and I think there are youtube videos on the subject.

maybe you have an axle/cv joint that is broken? Dunno about your mechanic, try to find a Subaru-experienced shop and get a second opinion. You may need to consider a trans swap if it's the front differential. Check car-part.com for a used trans.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts