Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had the left front wheel bearing replaced on my 99 Legacy Outback. Since that time, whenever my car gets up to 50-60 mph, the steering wheel starts to involuntarily shake/rotate about a half inch. Any ideas what may have caused this?

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,665 Posts
who did the bearing work? I'm wondering if the axle was torqued with the car's weight on the wheel or 'in the air' as it should be.

first thing, double check the lugnuts. then Try repositioning the wheel on the hub, then swap front tire with the rear tire.

was any other work done at the same time?

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,966 Posts
It is also possible the rotor-hub mating surface has clumps of rotor-rust making the wheel wobble, or corrosion buildup between the wheel and the rotor.

Make sure that wheel bearing was done right and is tight though...

·
Registered
2010 OBW limited 2.5 CVT
1,602 Posts
Did they do an alignment after the bearing replacement? On that year car, the front end gets torn down enough to require an alignment after bearing replacement.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
I recently had the left front wheel bearing replaced on my 99 Legacy Outback. Since that time, whenever my car gets up to 50-60 mph, the steering wheel starts to involuntarily shake/rotate about a half inch. Any ideas what may have caused this?
Yes yes I do.
Either your front tires have loosened up mine did after a bearing replacement. Go check the lugs!

Also if the primary nut was not torqued correctly the bearing and hub may have settled and the primary nut on the end of the axle may be loose.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts