Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my 2011 Subaru dealership 4 times for steering wheel shaking. Did the whole steering wheel kit, 12 diff tires and etc. Still has shaking at steering wheel. Field tech states that the shaking is normal.

My slight vibration is between 55-70. Vibration is not as crazy as the first time but it's still there and definitely NOT NORMAL.

SOA says since field tech says it's normal - nothing u can do

Does everyones subaru have a slight vibration at 55-70 mph? Any advice?

Why can't subaru just acknowledge that THERE IS A PROBLEM?!

I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER SUBARU EVER AGAIN!

·
Registered
766 Posts
Sux. Should lemon law the thing. You sure put in the time and effort to make it right before posting on it. Hopefully SOA will do you right.:29:

Took my 2011 Subaru dealership 4 times for steering wheel shaking. Did the whole steering wheel kit, 12 diff tires and etc. Still has shaking at steering wheel. Field tech states that the shaking is normal.

My slight vibration is between 55-70. Vibration is not as crazy as the first time but it's still there and definitely NOT NORMAL.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Seems to afflict many, but not all 4th generation Outbacks. A field rep calling it 'normal' is a bit insulting. Of course, what's normal for a 4th generation Outback might not be normal for another car. No car that I have owned ever have had steering wheel vibration by design.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Seems to afflict many, but not all 4th generation Outbacks. A field rep calling it 'normal' is a bit insulting. Of course, what's normal for a 4th generation Outback might not be normal for another car. No car that I have owned ever have had steering wheel vibration by design.
...Does not affect many of the new gen outbacks! There were some in early production that had varying degrees of shake in the steering. They had it worked out by mid to late '11 production runs.

...ours was bad...was made better by the TSB's but not fixed. I had to go the legal/CAMVAP route to get it solved once and for all. If you are in the states you may have to go the lemon law route.

IT IS NOT NORMAL!!! do not let them pull that BS on you. If you are in the states call SOA and open a case with them. IF you are in Canada, call SCI and get hold of David Leko.

Read this subthread on the shakes to get educated on it. It took about 16 months for my issue to be resolved satisfactorally. I have an OB that I really love. Don't paint the whole brand with same brush.

If it is a true case of the shakes...and I am not saying that it is not...I feel your frustration. Been there done that but persistance paid off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have opened a case with SOA after the 2nd visit to subaru.

Although the shaking like I said is not as much, it is STILL THERE! I still see it and feel it. However, the field tech said that this is "normal oscillation". So the report the field tech wrote was "normal road oscillation"

This is definitely not normal and I think this will only lead back to where we first started. SOA only offer money for compensation of time i spent at subaru which was like cheap change.

I honestly don't know what to do anymore! I want an ANSWER! THERE IS SHAKING AND I WANT TO KNOW WHY!? what else can I DO?

I know for sure the shaking will worsen in couple of thousand miles more ...(i already see it progressively worsen thru thousands of miles)

HELP!?

-DISAPPOINTED SUBARU CUSTOMER-

·
Registered
546 Posts

What month was yours built?

·
Registered
982 Posts
Honestly, if you've exhausted reasonable recourse through Subaru, just sell the car. It's not worth the aggravation.
Agreed, for most people this is probably best. For those who want a resolution fight with Subaru to buy it back or start lemon law procedings.

The reason the OP is being told its normal by the service tech is because they can't help anymore. They've done everything they can and Subaru has no other help for them. Unfortunately some early OB's weren't curable from some reports posted here.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
...I know how you feel...been there...got the T-shirt. My dealer GM was the one who offered an option to me going to arbitration with SCI. I am now a happy customer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Have the same issue with my 2012..also told it is "normal road ocillation"...still fighting!

I have opened a case with SOA after the 2nd visit to subaru.

Although the shaking like I said is not as much, it is STILL THERE! I still see it and feel it. However, the field tech said that this is "normal oscillation". So the report the field tech wrote was "normal road oscillation"

This is definitely not normal and I think this will only lead back to where we first started. SOA only offer money for compensation of time i spent at subaru which was like cheap change.

I honestly don't know what to do anymore! I want an ANSWER! THERE IS SHAKING AND I WANT TO KNOW WHY!? what else can I DO?

I know for sure the shaking will worsen in couple of thousand miles more ...(i already see it progressively worsen thru thousands of miles)

HELP!?

·
Registered
717 Posts
So, my July 2011 build Outback developed the widely-reported steering wheel vibration at 60-75 mph. The car was completely smooth and vibration-free when new. The vibrations started at around 9000 miles and became steadily worse through 14,000 miles. It got to the point it was fatiguing to hang on to the steering wheel on long trips. Two different sets of tires (one Continental and one Michelin) plus a road force balancing, 2 regular balancings, 3 rotations, and many different tire pressure trials didn’t help. Short story; I no longer trusted the car so I bailed on the 2011 and used the Subaru GTP to buy a 2013. It cost me a lot of money to trade, but probably saved me months of hassles and days of wasted time with dealers/corporate. I know the vibration problem in the Gen4 Outback has been beat to death on this sub-forum (over 11,000 posts!). However, I wanted to let others know my late build 2011 Outback that started out smooth developed the steering vibration (unrelated to tires).

·
Registered
33 Posts
So, my July 2011 build Outback developed the widely-reported steering wheel vibration at 60-75 mph. The car was completely smooth and vibration-free when new. The vibrations started at around 9000 miles and became steadily worse through 14,000 miles. It got to the point it was fatiguing to hang on to the steering wheel on long trips. Two different sets of tires (one Continental and one Michelin) plus a road force balancing, 2 regular balancings, 3 rotations, and many different tire pressure trials didn’t help. Short story; I no longer trusted the car so I bailed on the 2011 and used the Subaru GTP to buy a 2013. It cost me a lot of money to trade, but probably saved me months of hassles and days of wasted time with dealers/corporate. I know the vibration problem in the Gen4 Outback has been beat to death on this sub-forum (over 11,000 posts!). However, I wanted to let others know my late build 2011 Outback that started out smooth developed the steering vibration (unrelated to tires).
Ate you getting any vibrations on the 2013??

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App

·
Registered
5 Posts
Add one more to the list..

History:
On 11/12/2013 I signed the paperwork to purchase a used 2010 Subaru Outback from Marin Subaru in CA. VIN number: 4S4BRBCC7A3370146. As a condition of sale I requested the full steering wheel shake TSB number #05-48-10R be performed. This was put in writing on my bill of sale and I was assured it would be completed but that I would need to leave the car with Subaru for a few days.

While Marin Subaru did put a new set of tires on the car, which did stop the wheel from visibly shaking -- the shake was still there at highway speeds, just diminished. I made the mistake of not pitching a fit.

I noticed the shake most at certain highway speeds between, 65-80 miles an hour. The violence of the shake only got worse with the more miles I put on the tires until no rotation or balancing could get rid of the shake. I had a new set of Michelin tires installed 10/27/2013, and this again reduced the shake to a similar level of when I took delivery of the car with the new continentals.

I brought the car into Marin Subaru to have the TSB preformed that was promised by General Manager Tom Donnelly when I purchased the car. They did the typical RFB and alignment charged me $200+ and said the car was ready.

If the same pattern continues, which I suspect it will, within the next 4-6months once my tires have worn I will have a car that shakes much more considerably despite rotation and normal balancing.

In addition to the shake at highway speeds, my car also exhibits a pulse in the hydraulic steering system that can be felt, at slow and high speeds. The easiest way to feel the pulsing is to turn the wheel from side to side (one second to the left one second to the right) while driving at 40mph on a smooth section of road. The sensation is as if the hydraulic system is pulsing. The pulse happens whether the car is in gear or neutral.

While I cannot say if the pulse and shake are related, both are occurring.

I realize that preforming the TSB will not necessarily solve the problem in its entirety, but it will very likely, help reduce the vibration if performed in full by the installation of the dynamic damper in the steering wheel, new steering column, additional bushings/inserts and the stronger steering gearbox sleeve spring.

I have requested the TSB 3 times now. Once when I bought the car, and the last two times I brought it in. This last time I wrote them a letter and documented it. While they have said my car does not have the high speed shake they are "looking into" the pulse. Hoping they don't come back with the standard this is normal answer.

I have spent hours on this board reading even carefully poured over changes in the hydraulic steering system in various Outback service manuals. The only hint I can find is that Subaru has long employed a power assisted rack and pinion steering system with a rotary control valve, vane style pump, relief valve, flow control valve and either a pressure sensitive valve or pump control valve. On the 4th generation outback they have installed dual damper valves on either side of the control valve. I find this interesting. While this has no relevance at the individual car level from engineering perspective this is a notable attempt to reduce vibration that has failed.

Advice welcome, my bumper to bumper warranty expires soon.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
12 Participants
BMW Convert
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing