Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that my 2017 outback shudders[steering wheel] when I make a U turn, [half lock to complete hard lock position] at slow speeds. It almost feels like i am slipping on gravel.Is this something I need to worry about?I feel like it happens when i turn the steering left.
Its a 3.6 model and has 24 k Miles on it.I would appreciate any help.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I think your description is the AWD bind that all AWD cars do especially good AWD vehicles. Tight turns on dry pavement can give a mechanical groan/shudder type affect. All my Subarus have done this under the right hard turn conditions. As did my Land Cruiser and my Sequoia.

On very sharp low speed turns the tires all rotate at largly different speeds the awd system basically fights with that and will give a groan / shudder. Its a normal awd thing.

·
Premium Member
2007 2.5 L Obsidian Black Outback XTL
603 Posts
It is caused by the front wheels traveling a shorter distance than the rear wheels in a tight turn. Its not an unusual behavior but it can also point to a problem in the coupler in the transmission that attaches the front and rear wheels together. If it concerns you then a service visit can identify if it a real problem.

That sort of problem could necessitate a transmission replacement.

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited, 2.5i, Keyless, Nav, Eyesight, Venetian Red
324 Posts
Years ago, our first Subaru, my wife’s Forester did the same thing. That turned out to be the four wheel clutch system, $$$. I would take it to the dealer and have it checked out. If they say it is OK, that is great. Make sure you keep all documentation just in case there is a problem after your warranty expires.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts