Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 Limited
919 Posts
Likely warped (front)rotors. Perhaps a grease monkey had fun tightening your lug nuts w/an impact wrench lately?

Check them and replace rotors and pads as a set. Also make sure your caliper sliding pins aren't seized.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
1,077 Posts
things I would check

1. are your guide pins moving freely?
2. rotor run out
3. pads

Since it is generally cheaper to install new rotors vs getting them turned I would go that route with new pads

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Premium
1,148 Posts
I was reminded in another "brake shudder" thread that brake pad material transfer can be a cause.
You can try a few high energy stops to clean the rotors of any residue. It's the cheapest fix if it works.
Don't come to a complete stop and hold the brakes on. Just a high energy 'slow down' and then continue moving to let the brakes cool. Try 3 or 4 cycles.

Otherwise, the other posts have identified the likely causes/fixes.
Also check the tie rods. If they are worn they can contribute to the amount of shudder.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Premium 2.5
307 Posts
I was reminded in another "brake shudder" thread that brake pad material transfer can be a cause.
You can try a few high energy stops to clean the rotors of any residue. It's the cheapest fix if it works.
Don't come to a complete stop and hold the brakes on. Just a high energy 'slow down' and then continue moving to let the brakes cool. Try 3 or 4 cycles.

Otherwise, the other posts have identified the likely causes/fixes.
Also check the tie rods. If they are worn they can contribute to the amount of shudder.
Yep definitely try this first.
More often then not, it's this vs an actual warped rotor.

Most people do not brake aggressively enough.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will try hard braking first. The steering wheel only shudders on downhill braking. Could that mean anything.
What would happen if I don;t get them fixed? I will but I'm curious. This is ob a 100,000 mile 3.6 that has been well maintained and mine for the last 5,000.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 Limited
919 Posts
Know that stuck slider pins are very common on these brakes. They seem to want to seize up a lot quicker than say the brakes on my super old Corolla. It's easy enough to check (and clean and re-lube) with the wheels off.

I guess downhill puts more weight on the front when you do brake hence the difference?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Plus one for brakes. Other things to check the front suspension, pick the front end up and try rocking the tires from top and bottom and the sides to indicate control arm bushings. Let us know what the fix is.

·
Registered
2013 OBL 2.5
22 Posts
One other thing to check - probably the easiest - brake fluid in the master cylinder. You may have to bleed your lines (or have it done at a shop) if needed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts