Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Outback Limited; Jeep Wrangler TJ
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 2016 OB was part of the steering column recall last year. I got it replaced soon after the recall, but when I got it back, my steering wheel was crooked. It looked like this:

I didn’t have time to get it fixed before the 6 month maintenance, so last October I went and had that fixed when I got the maintenance done. It is better, but it still feels “off” to me. It looks like this now. But when I am in the right lane driving on a straight road, the steering wheel isn’t straight. I have to hold it more towards the left than straight.

Maybe I’m being too OCD and making a bigger deal than it needs to be, but I want it like it was from the factory, and every time I get in it, I notice the steering wheel just doesn’t look right. Is there anything easy they can do to get it straight? They did a front end alignment to get it more straight last year.

I go Tuesday for the 18 month maintenance so I was going to mention it then, but they may look at me like I’m crazy. :wink2:

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,480 Posts
nothing crazy about it, occasionally I have paid for alignments. and the steering wheel comes up a few degrees off.

if you are paying them to do such things. ...making sure the wheel is straight should be part of it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nothing crazy about it, occasionally I have paid for alignments. and the steering wheel comes up a few degrees off.

if you are paying them to do such things. ...making sure the wheel is straight should be part of it.
Well the problem is it didn’t need a front end alignment. They didn’t put the steering wheel on straight after the recall so when I went last October, I told them to straighten it. When I went to pick it up, they said that I had one free front end alignment with the maintence plan. I said as long as the steering wheel is straight okay. When I got home I looked at the work order. It said “customer stated vehicle pulls to the left. Test drove and confirmed. Front end alignment performed.” I didn’t say anything about my vehicle pulling because it didn’t. They used my free front end alignment to get paid for labor for their mistake during the recall (or that’s how I took it). It still feels off to me every time I get in it.

What would they have to do to get it straight? I don’t want to have to wait all day as I’m waiting at the dealership for it.

·
Banned
6,271 Posts
Guess it would be easier to tell if your pictures were straight.....>:)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guess it would be easier to tell if your pictures were straight.....>:)
Haha. That’s as straight as I could get while going through the car wash, but it’s off just a tad. :laugh:

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,480 Posts
Well the problem is it didn’t need a front end alignment. They didn’t put the steering wheel on straight after the recall so when I went last October, I told them to straighten it. When I went to pick it up, they said that I had one free front end alignment with the maintence plan. I said as long as the steering wheel is straight okay. When I got home I looked at the work order. It said “customer stated vehicle pulls to the left. Test drove and confirmed. Front end alignment performed.” I didn’t say anything about my vehicle pulling because it didn’t. They used my free front end alignment to get paid for labor for their mistake during the recall (or that’s how I took it). It still feels off to me every time I get in it.

What would they have to do to get it straight? I don’t want to have to wait all day as I’m waiting at the dealership for it.
ask them for a loaner car, or a ride to a shopping mall, ...go see a movie. (alignments take less then 2 hours even if waiting in line on a schedule with SNAFUs in it).

try a different subaru dealer. ...did you call subaru corp 800 with your description of this dealer's activity.?

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,237 Posts
Likely due to road crowning, I think.

Reactions: jsgntulok

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ask them for a loaner car, or a ride to a shopping mall, ...go see a movie. (alignments take less then 2 hours even if waiting in line on a schedule with SNAFUs in it).

try a different subaru dealer. ...did you call subaru corp 800 with your description of this dealer's activity.?
Unfortunately, I didn’t, and sadly, they are the only dealer within 1 hour of me.

Would they need to do another front end alignment to just straighten it up?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Likely due to road crowning, I think.
I thought about that, as well. But wouldn’t it do the same thing in the left lane if so? I’m not car savvy, so idk. The paddle shifters behind the steering wheel doesn’t fall in the same area either. Maybe there not suppose to?

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5
614 Posts
I had the same problem. They replaced the column before I took delivery and it was off. When I went in for my complimentary oil changes I had them attempt to fix it about three times. They would get a little closer each time but still not centered.

I bought some new tires a few months ago and went in for an alignment and they finally got it right.

I could have taken it back the first time and they probably would have eventually got it right sooner but I didn't want to waste the extra time.

I'm OCD and it was driving me nuts though.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well at least it wasn’t all in my head :laugh:

Here’s what they gave me when I picked it up. They didn’t give me anything like this the last time they did a front end alignment, but I’m glad I mentioned it to them today. Not sure what type of problems this could lead to, but I do notice it isn’t quite as stiff of steering. Now that may be all in my head, but it feels better to me. :nerd: (not sure why it says mine’s a 2015 model)

·
Registered
'18 OB 2.5 Ltd, No Eyesight, No Nav
2,929 Posts

That is exactly why I don’t want the dealer to try to fix my crooked steering wheel.

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 2.5L, Auto; 2018 Forester, 2.5L, Auto (for Mama); 2005 Baja, 2.5 Turbo, Manual
725 Posts
I thought about that, as well. But wouldn’t it do the same thing in the left lane if so? I’m not car savvy, so idk. The paddle shifters behind the steering wheel doesn’t fall in the same area either. Maybe there not suppose to?
Usually road crowning is more noticeable in the right lane than the left. Think of the crown as a broad curve from one side to the other - center lanes are more level, closer to the center of the curve, outside lanes are more slanted.

·
Registered
'18 OB 2.5 Ltd, No Eyesight, No Nav
2,929 Posts
My OB’s alignment is perfect, but my steering wheel is about 1 cm off to the right. I have seen Youtube videos about what it takes to straighten the steering wheel. It takes finesse, patience, and experience to get it right. Unfortunately, I don’t have confidence in the dealer having finesse and patience. I am particularly nervous about the dealer making my perfect alignment imperfect.

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 2.5L, Auto; 2018 Forester, 2.5L, Auto (for Mama); 2005 Baja, 2.5 Turbo, Manual
725 Posts
Well at least it wasn’t all in my head :laugh:

Here’s what they gave me when I picked it up. They didn’t give me anything like this the last time they did a front end alignment, but I’m glad I mentioned it to them today. Not sure what type of problems this could lead to, but I do notice it isn’t quite as stiff of steering. Now that may be all in my head, but it feels better to me. ? (not sure why it says mine’s a 2015 model)
Pretty obvious when they give you a picture... Glad for you that it's straight now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts