Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would I be possible to swap the steering wheel from an 09 wrx to an 05 outback? I have someone in my area that’s parting out their wrx and the steering wheel on my outback is worn down.

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5L XT Limited
299 Posts
I just confirmed with subaru's website our cars has two steering wheels and are only designed for 2005-2009. The wrx appears to look like ours, however the part numbers for the wrx one, looks like it supports 2008 to 2013, forester, sti, wrx, and Impreza. I cannot say the swap will work or not work. If you decide to swap, I would recommend transferring over the electrical parts, like airbag and switches over to the the replacement steering wheel. Because the electrical systems may vary slightly between the two different models and the age gap. I can tell you some of the parts in my 2006 varies from yours, so there must have be a problem in 2005 with a few parts, where they had to may different for 2006. Personally, I will recommend geting a replacement steering wheel for our exact model. You might be able to find one on ebay or a junk yard.

·
Registered
2006 Legacy Outback 2.5i Limited AT.
87 Posts
Search the posts on legacygt.com, I think I saw folks describing this swap.

Might be possible, but not straight forward. Concerns include compatibility of the airbag, plus the potential rewiring needed.

Another option if your wheel isn't too wrecked would be to refinish your wheel. I refinished one with the leatherique steering wheel kit. A bit of work repairing and sanding, then application of dye and clear coat. Been holding up well for the past month or so.

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5L XT Limited
299 Posts
Search the posts on legacygt.com, I think I saw folks describing this swap.

Might be possible, but not straight forward. Concerns include compatibility of the airbag, plus the potential rewiring needed.

Another option if your wheel isn't too wrecked would be to refinish your wheel. I refinished one with the leatherique steering wheel kit. A bit of work repairing and sanding, then application of dye and clear coat. Been holding up well for the past month or so.
View attachment 494182
View attachment 494183
View attachment 494184
View attachment 494185
Good job on the repair, came out amazing. Mine is not too bad and a little warn around 9 o'clock and 3 o clock.

·
Registered
2006 Legacy Outback 2.5i Limited AT.
87 Posts
I've seen mixed reviews on longevity of the repair and re-dye of steering wheels, but I'm happy so far. Only downside was I made no attempt to color match. I could always dye the airbag too, but it hasn't bugged me as much as expected. Regardless, it's an option to consider if you're happy with your wheel and just want to refresh the look.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts