Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2014 Outback
Hi! My stereo worked fine driving to the glass guy to fix broken back window. Picked it up and here is what happens;
The “subaru” logo illuminates then shuts off. Seems it could be issue with wiring and maybe it shuts off to prevent fire. I’ve checked all fuses and gone to mechanic to see if code registers. Stereo is not communicating. Back up camera does not work either. He mentioned a relay or something damaged while repairs were being done or wired wrong. I can’t find diagram for wiring the back door.
I will add that taillights and reverse lights all sudden needed replacing, which maybe is due to a power surge of sorts? Replaced them and all is fine- LED are awesome!!!
It was very slightly raining day after rear window broken, even though I had plastic over it possibly something got fried? I need a wiring diagram for this model.
Any suggestions are appreciated!
I need my music so bad!! It’s sunny in the PNW, and I need to have music to listen to on my drives 👊🏻

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,977 Posts
replace the window they had to remove all the rear gate trim...I had to do that to replace my wiper motor. Maybe they buggered up the wiring to the camera while they were back there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
replace the window they had to remove all the rear gate trim...I had to do that to replace my wiper motor. Maybe they buggered up the wiring to the camera while they were back there.
Do you think that would effect the stereo too though? I can’t get anything on that audio face to work. Thanks for helping!

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,977 Posts
Do you think that would effect the stereo too though? I can’t get anything on that audio face to work. Thanks for helping!
Hmmm...the backup camera is attached to the head unit but I can’t answer that on. possibly?

·
Premium Member
'05 OB 2.5i, '14 OB 3.6R
184 Posts
Maybe the two are totally unrelated. But it just happened that the radio fried at the same time you got the rear glass replaced. Hey stanger things have happened. If I were you I'd try a different radio that you know works. If i lived closer I'd let you try my factory 14 radio.

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
2,494 Posts
Maybe the two are totally unrelated. But it just happened that the radio fried at the same time you got the rear glass replaced
Maybe not so unrelated. As I noted in a post above, the FM antenna is one of the "grids" on the glass. If that grid is shorted, or the connector got shorted during the install it could explain everything...

·
Premium Member
'05 OB 2.5i, '14 OB 3.6R
184 Posts
But he said that the stereo powers on then shuts off. If the the antenna was messed up in anyway the stereo would still power on and stay on.

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
2,494 Posts
But he said that the stereo powers on then shuts off. If the the antenna was messed up in anyway the stereo would still power on and stay on.
Maybe so, but if the glass was the last thing that changed and there's something related to the glass that connects to the stereo I would absolutely start troubleshooting with that component...

·
Premium Member
'05 OB 2.5i, '14 OB 3.6R
184 Posts
But if the stereo powers on the shuts off its in the stereo. The tail gate only houses the fm transmitter nothing else. So you tell me how a broken fm transmitter would not allow the stereo to stay powered on? Because it wouldn't thats why i said start with the stereo itself. If the fm transmitter is shot you only wouldn't be able to get any radio stations. It wouldn't hinder the stereo to not stay powered on.

·
Registered
2012 OB , 2017 Impreza
3,670 Posts
With the FM antenna in the rear glass.... I believe there is also an FM signal-amplifier (near the antenna) which is powered from the head-unit. Have you checked that the FM signal-amplifier is plugged in and OK?

The purpose of the FM signal-amplifier is to boost the Radio-frequency signal-strength before sending down the cable to the head-unit. An automobile is electrically "noisy" (many digital data-busses) so it makes sense to boost the RF as close to the antenna as possible.

Some cars I have owned would have a 'secret' combination of buttons you can press/hold on the head-unit to perform diagnostics. One of the 'tests' was the FM signal-amplifier near the antenna.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts